[the princess]

In a castle, splendidly bright, lived a princess called Ananya. The princess, though living a lavish lifestyle rested uncontentedly knowing one day she was to inherit the kingdom and marry another to be her consort. She longed for nothing more than a life of freedom. Often, she could be found at a window, looking towards the kingdom outside of the castle walls in despair, wondering what it must be like to have a life in which her future was not cemented. And as a future Sultaness, her life was busy with preparations, preparations in learning political matters, self defense, war strategy, language, history, etiquette, and perhaps her least favorite of all, the meeting of potential spouses. And though all had traveled far and wide to offer her their hand in marriage, she had refused each and every one of them. The last to visit had been a Prince Auschden, an awful man who seemed interested only in her unequaled beauty and power. When he had stormed out of the palace, fuming, she had been more than eager to see him go. Her father, by then, was near the breaking point. "Ananya!" cried he, desperation apparent in his voice, "You cannot continue to refuse each and every one of these princes! I shan't be around forever, you know this as well as I, my child. Someday, you must marry."
Said she, placing an understanding arm upon his shoulder, "Father, I am well aware. But I ask of you, why must I marry? Can I not rule on my own?"
The Sultan only sighed, having heard the question many a time before, "My dearest daughter, while I am in no doubt certain you will be able to rule well on your own, you must have heirs. One that can take over once you have passed to the heavens. And, as you rule, you will need someone to shoulder your burdens and ease your mind. A partner for life's obstacles." The princess nodded but the Sultan knew it was only to please him.
"Now be off!" said he finally. "You must hurry or you'll be late!" And Ananya curtsied and hurried away to her history tutor. Of all the tutors, he was her favorite, for his passion for the history of their magnificent kingdom, the people and how they came to be was shared equally. And it only made Ananya long even more to be amongst her people and learn their ways, sing their songs and taste their food. Ekbal had long encouraged her to sneak out and see the villages for herself, though she always shook her head, smiling sadly, for if she did so once, her father would never allow her to do so again. Ekbal had always been more than just a tutor to her, he was also a dear friend. Though she often locked her feelings in with others, to Ekbal she would confess most everything and he to her. Today was no different. And so, when she entered the library, her face glum and crestfallen, he had no need to even voice the question before she cried, "Father says I must marry, though he believes me to be capable of ruling on my own! I do not understand anymore! Oh, if only my life was free of this certainty!"
Ekbal calmly stepped forward and took her shaking hands in his, "My dear," intoned he with worry, "Why else do you think I so insist you visit the villages beyond? I only wish to give you a taste of the freedom the people below enjoy. I can help you to escape. Tonight, meet me here once again, two hours after the sun has dipped past the horizon." This time, the princess did not argue and merely nodded. She smiled shakily.
"How is Amol?" ventured she when no more had been said. Amol was the guard with whom Ekbal had been secretly seeing, though only Ananya knew.
"He is doing well," said Ekbal, gathering up some parchment and sitting down in front of the fire. "I believe he will be able to help us with your escape. Now come. Let us begin learning our history." That night, the princess dressed in her darkest clothing and slipped out of her bedroom. The only item of value she carried was a simple necklace that once was her mother's. She met Ekbal in front of the library doors. All he gave was a silent nod before leading the way. At the palace doors, the princess was greeted with the face of Amol, Ekbal's lover and another guard. Smoothly, like water, they heaved the doors open and turned back to their positions. Ekbal stroked Amol's face and they shared a kiss. When they had broken away, Ekbal nodded to Ananya and said, "This is where I leave you, princess. I pray you find your way back safely. Use the servant's entrance on the north side of the palace. Now go before anyone awakens." And with a nod, the princess turned to face the world, tasting the summer sweet air, and with no hesitation, stepped out into the kingdom beyond.