[the commoner]

The commoner gasped, and saw Ananya's chest sharply rise as she stifled her own. His fists clenched in rage but he blew out a breath and began to struggle.  This was for Sundar, the love of his life. "Release me!" he shouted angrily. 
"Ah, my dear commoner boy," said the advisor Balveer smoothly, "How you seem to defy death. And why might that be?" His eyes landed on the lamp the apple seller was grasping and his face filled with greed. "Excellent," he murmured. "Most excellent. You shall both be heavily rewarded." The two bowed their heads and whispered their thanks. "Now give me that lamp, Princess Ananya." the advisor hissed. "Guards!" The two guards burst in, and growled at the two women, who confidently readied themselves, dropping the commoner's arms and handing him the lamp. It was truly astonishing watching them, for they were most wonderful fighters. Meanwhile, he stood there uselessly, and his hands itched to release the jinn. And by the time the guards had been piled on top of each other, unconscious, Imaran had rubbed the lamp and set Sundar free, unaware the advisor was watching him greedily. "Enough!" shouted Balveer, and he flung out his hand. The doors slammed shut with a satisfying click. The apple seller rushed forward and yanked on the handle. No good. "I am prepared to make a bargain," sneered the advisor. "The lamp for your precious Sultan." 
"Never!" cried the commoner, pulling the jinn close.
"Tell me," the advisor whispered. "How much do you think his life is worth?" And he pressed the knife hard enough against the Sultan's neck that a bead of blood dripped down his throat. 
"Stop!" cried the princdess, voice breaking. She looked toward the commoner, her eyes pleading. "Please Imaran, it is the only way." Imaran looked at Sundar, perhaps for the last time. Though the jinn'e eyes ached with longing and sadness, his face set.
"You must." he whispered softly. Shakily, the commoner pulled him close. 
"Never forget." said the commoner, forcing back tears. "I love you, always."
"As do I." said the jinn in return. And they shared their final kiss. Regretfully, he vanished into the lamp. The princess held out her hand for her father. She slid the lamp to the advisor and he threw her father back to her. "Now," said Balveer, smirking sinisterly. "Was that so difficult?"