Chapter 15

Adam's POV

I stopped listening to Amanda's rant 5 minutes ago. I can't stop watching her, Kami. A small crowd of people have gathered around her and the old man. I don't even think she realizes it.

She said she loves to paint but this. It's extraordinary. I interrupt Amanda's bitching and tell her I have to go and just hang up without waiting for her reply.

I slowly walk toward the crowd behind Kami just admiring everything about her. The way her beautiful brown hair is blowing in the wind and even though her back is to me I can tell she's smiling. Before I can even think about it I'm taking pictures of her and the crowd around her, the painting, her focus, every angle I can get without being noticed.

I get to her side and get a better look at her creation. It's bizarre. I'm looking at the canvas but seeing exactly what is in front of her eyes. The Chicago's Riverwalk. Her painting makes it look even better than it is in person. I'm watching her from the side she still doesn't even notice me. She's in the zone! But watching her create this art I've never seen her look more youthful and light.

I know I won't be able to keep the pictures I take of her. I'll have to delete them later but I'll be able to admire the moment captured for just a little bit.

Before too much longer she puts her brush down cocks her head to one side and then to the other.

"I'm done !" She says. Her eyes move up to where I'm standing.

"I'm so sorry I just got carried away." Her cheeks flush realizing I've been watching her.

"No, please don't be sorry! Don't ever be sorry." I say to her is desperation

She looks at the old man who was painting next to her.

"Thank you for letting me join you! You can keep this." And she hands him the painting she had created. This man who doesn't seem to have much beams with a smile. And for the first time I'm seeing her in this moment being compassionate and showing a connection with someone. It makes my chest heavy to see her in this new way. For a moment this hard exterior of hers is faded just a bit.

Its time to take her back home and because I'm a gentlemen I walk her up to the door.

"Thank you for hanging out with me today Kami. I hope you had fun."

She flashes that beautiful smile "I did actually. I was reminded of why I've always loved the city." She says to me.

The wind blows her hair just enough for me to reach up and tuck it behind her ear. Her body flinches just slightly at my touch and her cheeks flush. Before I know what I'm doing I'm smashing my lips against hers. She brings her hands around my neck and is close enough to hear her heartbeat. Our tongues meet and I may explode. Suddenly my brain makes a reappearance and I pull away from the best kiss of my life.

Her eyes are widened.

"I'm so sorry Kami. I don't know why..." I trail off I'm lost for words

"I have to go. I can't, I'm sorry.." I say to her. I catch a glimpse of her glazed eyes but I pull away and walk toward my car and leave without looking back.. I might have just made the biggest mistake of my life. Not the kiss. Leaving that girl alone on the step.. But I had to.

Before I head back to my apartment there is one thing I have to go do.