Chapter 7. Disappointed

"What could I possibly have to do with it?" he asked. He clenched his jaw.

"He was wondering why I talked to you more than I used to," I started. I was going to continue, but Avery was so hot-headed that he wouldn't let me finish.

"We have always talked almost every fucking day," he snapped. "We're no different."

One of my eyebrows raised in disbelief.

"What? You agree with him?" Avery challenged.

"I mean, a little," I admitted. "Avery, think about it. All we ever used to do was argue. Look at us now," I said and gestured between us. "I'm sitting in your bedroom telling you about my boyfriend troubles?"

"I've always been there for you, Stormie. Maybe, you just didn't notice," he said defensively.

"Like when?" I asked.

"Remember that time that you fell out of the tree and broke your leg?" he asked.

"What?" I raised both eyebrows.

"Yeah, you were like ten," he said. "It was Mason's twelfth birthday."

I thought hard about it and started to nod. "Howie pushed me out of the tree. Howie and Alex were laughing at me, but they didn't know that I was really hurt. You picked me up and carried me back to the house. You came over and checked on me every day," I said.

"Right, or how about that time last school year?"

My lips turned up into a ridiculous grin. "When I got my period during school," I said and laughed. "You noticed it before anyone and covered me with your sweater. You took me home so I could change."

"The time you didn't want to go on that field trip in sixth grade," he said.

"You forged my dad's signature!" I bursted into hysterics and fell back onto the couch.

"Exactly," he said. "You come to me every time, Stormie, not Mason, your dad, your mom, or your friends. It's always been me."

"Okay, fine. You're right. I guess it just seems like we fight so much it's easy to forget that stuff," I said. I sat back up. "Chris said a certain thing that made me get out of the car..." I trailed off and glanced up at him.

"What?" he asked.

"He asked what I did to get you to lend me the car," I murmured. "The way he said it was like he was implying..." I trailed off and swallowed hard. I was afraid to look back at Avery.

"Implying what?" Avery murmured.

My gaze flickered to his.

Avery's eyes seemed darker than normal. He ran a hand through his light brown hair and jumped to his feet. He turned to face me. "Are you fucking kidding me?!" Avery's face and neck started to turn red from anger.

"Calm down," I murmured.

"Calm down," he scoffed. "That little asshole practically called you a whore, and you're asking me to calm down? I'm going to go rip him to fucking pieces!"

"He didn't call me a whore," I argued.

"He implied that you were screwing me for the car!" Avery roared. He slipped his DC shoes on and started down the stairs.

Damn, me and my big fat mouth! "Avery, wait!" I called after him as I raced down the stairs.

He grabbed a hoodie from his closet and pulled it over his head.