Chapter 24. Dirty Laundry

"Pardon me?" Mom managed.

"Well, since everybody's dirty laundry is getting aired, I figured to air mine too," I said and shrugged. I took a bite of my potatoes.

Avery buried his face in his hands.

"Um, Stormie," Dad started. "I thought Chris and you broke up?"

"Oh," I snorted. "We did. The baby isn't Chris'."

Rachel glared at Avery.

"Make you a deal," I said. "You tell me what's going on with you," I spoke deliberately as I stared at my father. "And I'll tell you what is going on with me. We're all adults, right? Time to act like it."

"You're sixteen," Mom snapped.

"I'm going to be seventeen in two days," I countered. "In a year, I am going to be an adult, so close enough."

"How could you ruin your life like this?" Rachel murmured and shook her head. She wasn't looking at me. She was staring at Avery. 

"That's a little harsh," Dad said to Rachel. "It's not your problem or your business."

"Oh, it is," Rachel said.

Mason dropped his fork after being frozen the last couple of minutes. "Let me guess," Mason said. His eyes flickered from mine to Averys. 

"This has nothing to do with you!" Mom screeched at Mason. "Get out. Your father and I need to talk to her alone!"

"Damn," I said. "That bad, huh?" 

"It's yours," Mason whispered.

Avery's gaze flickered to Masons. 

Mom and Dad's mouths dropped into an O shape. They both turned to stare at Avery and me. 

"Wow, not bad for a dumb jock," I said. "It only took you..." I trailed off and looked up at Avery. "How long have we been dating, babe?" 

"You son of a..." Mason trailed off.

Avery looked down at me.

"Surprise," I whispered to Avery. "Now you know what has been eating me, and I feel so much better that I got that off my chest. I'm sorry. I truly wanted to wait until after the holidays. I didn't want anyone to know."

"Stop treating this like it's a joke," Rachel said to me.

"Mom," Avery started.

"I'm not laughing!" I snapped.

"Please tell me it's a joke," Dad muttered.

Mason stood up and kicked his chair. He stormed out of the dining room while cursing.

"This is going to sound weird, but I'm going to say it," Claire said. "Congratulations. I hope everything turns out okay." Claire stood up and walked out.

Austin pursed his lips and smiled. "I knew I heard weird noises at night," Austin said and chuckled.

"Get out," Avery said, glaring at Austin. 

Austin's eyes widened, and he dashed out of the kitchen.

Dad covered his mouth for a moment. "Are you two really dating?" He looked pointedly at Avery and me.

"Yes," Avery answered.

"How long?" Mom asked.

"A few months," I said.

"How far along are you?" Dad asked. 

"I'm not sure. I just found out a few days ago," I said. "Maybe three or four weeks."