Six

My cousin was not a person whom I would ever put in charge of protecting someone. So, when he told me that he had been assigned as a Guardian Angel I was a little bit surprised. I guess I should explain. It wasn't that I thought Rafael would be bad at the job, it was that I thought he would care too much. If something did go wrong, it would destroy him.

Nevertheless, he had been assigned, and like the angel he is, he did as he was told. I, like the good member of the Seelie court that I am, decided to watch over the child, too.

Her name was Becca Weaver, and she was a lovely girl. Rafael did well with her, and I believe she taught him a few things about life. Abused children often do. The broken people, after all, are the ones who take the most care to make sure that others don't get broken.

I often followed her around, watching her and the people around her. There was one boy, Soren Bell, who seemed to have an uncanny ability to pull Becca back to reality. Only, when he was around, her reality seemed so much brighter. I believe she was in love with him. And I believe that he was a little bit in love with her, too. They were both broken, both alone. It was just that they were broken and alone in different senses of the words. If they had been windows, he would be stuck closed, and she would have been fractured. She stood by herself, apart from the crowd, and he stood in the middle, a stranger among friends. Different meanings, but the same words. Alone. Broken.

I think, that if they had been given more time together, they could have fixed each other. Sometimes, it is easier to fix someone else than it is to fix yourself. And sometimes, you need two hands to unravel all the knots.