Chapter 8

Ciel, Alice, Sebastian, the servants, and the villagers were all gathered around a man who had been gruesomely murdered. He was covered in blood and bites.

"How awful" Bard says still gripping his pillow in his arms

"That is that" Ciel looks over at Alice who was quiet, he was surprised to see her staring at the body, actually looking frightened "Alice" he waves his hand in front of her face "what's wrong?"

"young master, that look in her eyes are similar to yours when you remember those events" Sebastian reminds him

"childhood trauma then" Ciel sighs and hugs Alice, putting her head in his chest "Alice get hold of yourself"

Alice finally came back to her senses and her face turned red "C-Ciel"

"Are you alright now?" Ciel let's go of her and she steps back from him

"y-yes, sorry" Alice apologizes "usually things like this doesn't bother me"

"You're not very fond of dogs I take?" Ciel asks

"I don't mind small dogs, but big dogs yes" Alice tells him "let's get on with work now"

"yes" Ciel nods turning back to the scene "Sebastian"

Sebastian walked over to the body and looked closely at the man's wounds.

"Stand back! Don't touch!" Everyone turned to see Lord Barrymore running over "I see it was James then" he looks at the body "He was the bad dog"

"Yes" a villager says "He broke the legal restriction on dog ownership. He had six dogs; one more than is allowed."

"A sixth dog" Lord Barrymore says "Then this was inevitable"

"That's all you can say?!" Bard shouts "Really?!"

"This village is under my rule and no other," Lord Barrymore says "The demon hound protects that rule. As guardian of the Barrymore family, it punishes anyone and everyone who dares to challenge me!" 

The villagers started to chant about good dogs and bad dogs as they lifted the now dead James onto a stretcher and walked away. 

"I was sure one of you outsiders would be its prey" Lord Barrymore says "You got lucky this time. Head my words and leave, lest one of you are next" he glares at Alice

Ciel hold his arm out in front of Alice "thank you for your concern Lord Barrymore, but we won't be leaving"

Without another word, Lord Barrymore and Angela walked away following the crowd of villagers.

"I don't think he likes me" Alice says

Ciel looks at her "it's nothing for us to worry about"

They all headed back for the Barrymore manor without another word. The servants bid goodnight before going back to their rooms. Shortly after arriving back in Ciel's room, Alice went into the bathroom to change while Sebastian changed Ciel into his nightwear in the room.

"Are you done yet?" they hear Alice ask from the bathroom

"yes you may enter" Ciel replies as he sits on the bed

Sebastian looks at Ciel's eyepatch "young master.."

"It's fine" Ciel says

Alice walks out of the bathroom and Ciel blushes a bit. 

Ciel cleared his throat and looked at Sebastian

 Sebastian bows "goodnight young master, Lady Alice"

"goodnight Sebastian" Ciel and Alice reply

Sebastian smirks at Ciel before leaving.

"damn demon" Ciel mumbles

"Sebastian's a good butler" Alice says as she sits on her side of the bed

"he can be annoying sometimes" Ciel tells her "but yes, he is a very able man"

"I bet" Alice smiles "your servants are very different from mine, they all have this carefree kind of attitude that let's them enjoy life"

"what are your servants like? Ciel asks "y-you don't have to answer that, I was just curious" he leans back onto his pillows and pulls the covers over him

"it's fine" Alice pulls her legs onto the bed and faces him "my servants are different then yours, they're very serious and always do their jobs. They never laugh or goof off, they're always afraid of my brother, but they're extremely good at fighting"

"Sounds ideal" Ciel says "but you don't seem very happy with that"

"Well I have my brother so it's not like I'm lonely, but the servants are basically soulless" Alice sighs "but they are demons after all"

"d-demons!" Ciel shouts surprised "your servants are demons"

"of course" Alice reaches over to him, Ciel's eyes widen as Alice unties his eyepatch and takes it off, reveling his mark. She smirks "after all, you have one as well"

"h-how did you know?" Ciel questions

"Oh Lord Phantomhive, you already know I'm not human" Alice puts his eyepatch in his hand "detecting something like a demon isn't hard for me"

Ciel looks at her seriously "Who exactly are you?"

"I thought you would've asked Sebastian already" Alice lays back against her pillow

"I have" Ciel replies angrily "but all he gives me are these stupid riddles"

Alice giggles "I suppose even demons won't say everything"

"Are you a threat?" Ciel sits up

"of course not" Alice closes her eyes "if I was a threat I wouldn't be under the direction of the Queen now would I?"

"No I suppose not" Ciel lays back down "if you're not a demon then what are you?"

"In time Ciel" Alice yawns "you might.. learn" 

Ciel looks over at Alice who was now peacefully asleep. He sighs before pulling the covers over her, he turns around and faces the other way. Heat rises to his cheeks when he feels arms wrap around him.

"A-Alice" Ciel turns his head to see the girl hugging him in her sleep, he sighs once more before closing his eyes "only this once will I allow this"