Ch. 25: Taking Chances

Ch. 25

“You know you’re not fooling anyone, right?” Nelly said out of nowhere. We’d been really quiet just watching the guys do whatever it is they were doing.

“I’m not quite sure what you’re talking about.” I gave her a confused look, even though I knew what she was talking about.

Of course, she knew that as well and I was crazy to think that she would believe me, not that I really thought she would, but I had that little sliver of hope. She narrowed her eyes at me and hung her head, looking up at me, “Really Kels? Do you have to be this difficult?”

I smirked at her. “Of course I do. Difficult is my middle name, after all.”

“It should be.” She teased, making us both laugh. “Anyway,” She said, getting back on track. “Why don’t you two just try it out?”

“It doesn’t work that way.” I sighed and looked down at my mug I had in my hand. It was chilly enough outside to have a cup of French Vanilla Cappuccino.

“Why not?” Nelly asked.

“Because…” I said and trailed off. I wish it were that easy, I really do but it just wasn’t. I know she was just trying to make me happy again, but I am happy. I don’t need a man to make me happy. I have my big boy.

She waved her hand in front of my face, “Because…..?” She asked. “Care to elaborate on that? What could be the harm?”

I looked over at her, “Well, what the harm could be is everything!” I exaggerated. “I mean, what we have now is great! We get along and are talking and can hang out and have a good time!”

“What’s wrong with that?” Nelly interrupted me.

“What’s wrong with that is if we were to actually try anything and something was to go wrong and one of us didn’t want to be in this anymore then what? I mean, I’m sure Cam would love to have his parents together, but what’s that to us? If we got together just because of that then we could end up despising each other. That wouldn’t be good. If that were to happen then he would lose one of us, and I don’t want that when he was both of us right now, we just don’t live under the same roof, but he can go and stay with Zach any time he wants to.”

Nelly was quiet for a moment. Maybe I actually got through to her. “Yeah, but what happens if you two hit it off great and things turned out perfect for you?”

“That’s about a one in a million chance.” I sighed. I wish that weren’t true.

“He obviously likes you just as much as you like him.”

I snorted, “What in the hell makes you say that? I mean, how could he like me when I’m that one that broke off his marriage.”

“You didn’t do it. It was a long time coming for the two of them. Granted, I didn’t know them for very long, but in the amount of time that I did know them, they weren’t going to go anywhere. It was bound to happen sooner or later, and you just moved the process along.” Nelly smiled at me warmly.

This was what I liked about her. She just came out with whatever it was she was thinking. I’m like that a lot of the time and I think that’s why we get along so well. Brandon was a lucky man to have her and she was lucky to have him. They made a perfect match. “Yeah, well, I’m sure he doesn’t think of it like that.”

“Kels, come on, now.” Nelly tsked at me. “Have you seen the way he looks at you? That boy is smitten with you and you don’t even know it. I’m not even sure if he knows it himself. I think you two should at least try it out. Besides, I think if it goes the way you look at it then you two are adult enough to work through it and be able to stay friends, or at least friendly, with each other well enough for Cam. But, if I am right, then you two could make a cute couple!”