Chapter Five: Reassurance

Note: Happy new year everyone! Here's a holiday present!

⊱ ──────────── ⊰

A muffled groan escaped your mouth, feeling your father's rough fingers dug deeply against the skin of your cheeks, grasping them unbearably. "Father," your voice cracked, tears welling up your eyes as the pain increased by the second.

"You never really learn, do you?" He started off, "Did you really think I wouldn't know?" He questioned with a mock in his tone. His lips curled into a wide smirk as he released a suppressed laugh, terrifying you with the way his expression twisting with anger.

"I-I'm sorry," you tried apologizing through your squeezed cheeks, words barely even heard right. His palm hardened more around your face, making you whine in agonizing pain.

In a quick manner, he jerked your head sharply, causing your body to lose its balance and stumble on the ground. He darted an angry look at you. "If you keep provoking me like this, everyday assures you a great penalty," he warned, bending down to your eye level.

Swallowing the lump forming in your throat, he outstretched his hand to your head as his fingers slowly glided down against your hair until the back of his hand reached your cheek. "This is the second time I warned you. Don't anger me, my dear." There was a hint of menace in his voice.

You had an urge to spit on his face, however, your fear dominated your body more than your audacity.

Straightening his body, he glowered at you. Your jaw slightly quivered, tremor of dread sliding through you. "I suppose your friend Anais shall also learn her lesson, don't you think so?"

Your eyes widened in surprise as her name rolled off his tongue. Your head perked up. "Leave her out of this, please! It was my idea to join the banquet. I was the one who insis-" Your words were cut off when your father whipped his hand on your cheek as the sound of skin contacting skin echoed around the room. You felt a hot burning to the side of your face.

His temper was flaring, never feeling any kind remorse. Not one part of his body felt the culpability for what he did. He just turned around and walked away like a cold-hearted person he is, and slammed the door of your room.

Your body fell completely on the ground, the tears that filled your eyes soon fell. Chest hardly heaving in and out, you whimpered on your hands. You were engulfed with fear, causing your knees to refuse granting you to stand.

"A-Anais," your voice came off ruptured as you forced yourself to stand up. Worried for your friend, you rushed outside your room to warn the maid and escape the mansion before your father could even land his hand on her. You had no idea who to call for help, considering the people inside your household were all untrustworthy.

Briskly walking through every isle of the mansion, you crane your neck, looking around as though you were lost. The thought of losing your friend frightened you.

You would never be able to forgive yourself if she lost her life for your carelessness.

Beads of sweat started to form on your forehead as you looked around, paranoid. There was no sign of Anais everywhere and it was making you anxious to death. "No, no, no..." you mumbled to yourself, nearly breaking down until someone's hand latched onto your tensed shoulders.

"My lady." A sudden relaxation flooded over your body, nervousness impulsively decreased at the sound of his calm and soothing voice. You still felt the sense of security in his touch.

You thought you were wrong for thinking you had no one to trust in your household, when you had Jimin. People had always seemed to betray you before, so you swore to yourself to never trust anyone easily again. However, it was different when it comes to him and it confuses you everytime.