Chapter Eight

Later that night there was a knock on her door. Brows furrowing, her head rolled to the side to take a look at the clock. It was nearly four in morning.

  Kicking the heavy blanket off her legs, she nearly tripped as she tried to untwist herself. Another knock, more impatient, and she huffed as she finally grabbed hold of the doorknob.

  "What-"

  Tom stood there with a bemused expression on his features and she found herself blushing.

  A multitude of questions bounced around in her mind as he stepped forward into the room and shut the door behind him with a soft click. "How are you... how'd you slip away?"

  "That Granger girl can be helpful when she wants to be," he said lightly.

  Delilah didn't bother asking him what he meant, not that she had the chance to seeing as his hand slipped into her hair and he pulled her mouth to his. Warmth and familiarity engulfed her as Tom's other arm wrapped around her middle, hot breath invading her mouth.

  It felt strange to think she had missed him, but she had. She missed being near him and being free to act on her wants and needs. Now she felt restricted in even looking in his general direction - scared of judgement.

  Again, Delilah didn't blame them. But that didn't make it any less hard.

  Tom pulled away, lips pressing a chaste kiss to her forehead and hand massaging the back of her neck. "You're thinking too much."

  "Aren't I always?"

  He hummed, looking down at her and her flushed features and he never thought he'd genuinely crave someone before but there he was - relapsing back into her. Who knew a person could cause symptoms of withdrawal.

  "Are you ready for tomorrow?" She asked, stepping away from him to sit on the edge of the bed. He bit his cheek, eyes dancing over the room and the cluttered mess of it. Walking over, he stood before her and messed with the collar of the sweater she was wearing.

  "Am I ready to walk into a war zone?" Tom's tone was light and easy going and he offered her a slated smile. "Of course I am."

  "I don't think they'll let you have your wand-"

  "Not a problem."

  Her brow raised, "what do you mean?"

  "Please, your lack of faith in my abilities is disheartening." Following his statement Tom lifted up one wrist and easily took the bracelet off, eyes glinting as he watched her own widen.

  "Have they been like that the entire time?"

  Tom shook his head and slipped the device back on, "just last night I managed to crack them." He didn't think it the best idea to bring up his little episode and the fact he spoke to her recently passed ex.

  "How?" She grabbed hold of his hands and lightly ran her fingers over the cool metal. He took hold of her chin, bringing her gaze to his.

  "It's complicated."

  Delilah grinned, "uncomplicate it."

  He didn't answer her, he just kissed her again. And again, and again. Tom kissed her till her mind went numb and she took notice of nothing but his weighty presence.

  I missed you, nearly dripping off her tongue and he eased her onto her back on the mattress. His hands ghosting under the jumper and making her melt between his fingers.

  His touch rested against her rib cage for a moment, taking in the blush of her cheeks and shimmering eyes. "You have to be quiet," his voice a lull, swarming around her and making her feel dizzy.