Chapter 7: Drilling Machine-Gun Holes

I was explaining to the curious Dwarves how my weapon worked.

"Fucked up badly when designing it, that's what happens when you don't have precision tools," I stated. "Prolly can't test fire it again otherwise it'd send shrapnel everywhere. See this? There's cracks in the barrel now."

Yeah, my weapon was two-use only, three uses if I stretched it really hard. I overestimated the amount of ammonium nitrate explosives I needed behind the projectile, and that overstressed the front part of it too much.

What a disappointment.

"Using flint to ignite an explosive, which is then used to throw a projectile..." Kaijin repeated. "I would've dismissed something like that a week ago. But I witnessed the destructive power of one of those, and it looks far more effective than a bow or crossbow at short ranges."

"Not just up close," I replied. "There's ones that outrange even the best a' bows. But those require really good tools to make, and I don't exactly have any of those myself."

"If it's tools you need, you can go to me," Kaijin said.

"No, like, really specialized tools. Hard to explain and I don't wanna offend you guys, but your blacksmithing methods won't cut it."

"That sounds like a challenge."

I looked up at him. "It is. But I know just what we need to build to make it easier for us. But first, I gotta ask Rimuru a few things. Wait here for a bit, I'll go lookin' for him."

I was pretty sure he was in the tent that Shizu was resting at. He's been there for awhile... the concern over Shizu was understandable.

I walked over to the tent in question, pushing the front drapes out of the way.

"Rimuru, you alright in here? Haven't seen you come out ever since the whole battle."

The slime was next to the bed Shizu was resting in.

"Oh..." Shizu whispered, looking up at me from the bed. "You're the living doll... 

I'd normally be irked at someone calling me a 'doll', but I let it pass due to Shizu's current condition.

"You feelin' alright? Whole thing earlier kinda scared us."

"I'm... more worried about you. I'm really sorry for not telling all of you sooner, and I hope I didn't do too much damage when Ifrit took over..."

I grimaced. Yeah, she did quite a bit of damage, but this girl was a sweetheart.

"Don't worry 'bout that. None of us are dead or crippled. Tents n' shit can be rebuilt."

Shizu smiled. "I can see that... you're trying not to be mad?"

"Maybe if it was someone I knew, but look, I don't really wanna be mad at you. Everyone's fine in the end... also, sorry for interrupting on your convo with Rimuru, I'll stand back for now. Gotta ask him something later, you see? I'll just wait."

I decided to sit back and allow the two their personal conversation. It seemed they were talking about important things. I didn't like peeping in on stuff like that.

"Can I ask you for... a favor," Shizu said, looking at the slime.

"Of course. Whatever you need," Rimuru replied.

"Could you... eat me?"

I winced a bit at that request, and it seemed Rimuru had the same line of thought when he recoiled back.

"Right now, I feel like I'm at peace..." Shizu continued. "I'm so glad... but I don't love this world. I can't hate it, either. That's why..."

I was... guessing that she was choosing her words carefully, after our strong reaction to the request.