Chapter 4: Next-Door Autocrats

I wasn't a carpenter, and metal shop skills didn't really transfer well to wood. I tried my best to help with cutting and moving the material, but without dedicated tools, I was pretty much useless.

The shelters they built were dubiously assembled, to put it simply. I was getting real annoyed at how they built them, but what was I to do without even a hammer and nails? I was fed up enough to mentally postpone my firearm-making attempts, and tried to melt the iron ore I obtained into the shape of a hammer and some nails.

First problem? There was nothing I had to melt the metal. No charcoal fuel, even. It would take days to actually make the charcoal I needed.

So I was left to sit on my ass and watch as they tried to rebuild the buildings for their new, taller bodies. And I'll say this for sure: I certainly do feel dwarfed.

Was this how short people felt? When I first arrived all the Goblins were barely my height, now they towered a few heads above me! It would've been funny, but they were frighteningly strong.

It took three days, but Rimuru eventually woke up. We had to brief him on everything that he missed, from the Goblins evolving to the new buildings that were constructed.

He eventually called a meeting at the center of the village. All of the Goblins gathered, and I was curious about what announcements he was planning to give.

Standing beside him as he made the announcements almost made me feel like those second-in-commands that stood guard alongside their leaders as they spoke to a crowd.

"As you can all see, we're all a big and happy family now. In order to avoid complications, I think we should set a few ground rules."

"Rules?"

Rimuru nodded. "First: No attacking humans. Second: No fighting amongst yourselves. Third: No belittling other races. Any questions?"

Rigur raised his hand.

"Yes, you have a question?"

"Why are we not allowed to attack humans?"

That question seemed to agitate Rigurd. "How dare you question him!"

"Calm down, Rigurd, I'll explain why. It's simple, really. It's just because I really like humans."

Rigur nodded, clenching his fist in agreement."Okay, then. That makes perfect sense!"

"Wait, it does? Uh, good."

I looked down at Rimuru. These Goblins took things at face value too easily.

"A-hem. Well, the main reason is that humans typically live in large groups. If you mess with them, they'll retaliate against us. If they were to go after them in earnest, we wouldn't be able to handle them. So keeping in good relations with humans is important."

"Got a question of my own, Rimuru," I interjected.

"What is it?"

"I don't wanna argue against the 'no attacking humans' rule. But how do we apply that if some motherfucker out there wants to kill us?"

"Well... in that case, your safety should be your first priority," Rimuru replied. "The rule applies for any confrontations, don't be the one that starts the violence."

That was agreeable. I gave a nod of approval.

"Any other questions?"

Gobta raised his hand. "When you tell us not to belittle other races, what do you mean?"

"Well, you're all stronger now because you evolved, right?" Rimuru asked. "It's important to not let that get to your head and push others around. Not only is it unfair, but they can do the same thing to you if they in turn become stronger than you. Anyone else?"