A Certain Question

================================

Meridus was nervous. He was about to do something that he had never done before, proposing. He had never thought in a million years that he would find the perfect girl to marry him. So he headed towards his mother and Valka for advice. He soon spotted them having a talk. Then they noticed him coming over to them.

"Meridus, is something wrong?" Elinor asked.

"Actually, yes." Meridus replied.

"What is it?" Valka questioned, worried.

"I need your help." Meridus answered.

"With what?" Elinor blinked in confusion.

"I want to propose to Hicca." Meridus admitted.

The two women were surprised at this. They didn't expect that Meridus would ask them for this kind of help. But they were also happy to see that Meridus needed their help.

"Really?" Valka beamed.

Meridus nodded with a sheepish smile.

"How can we help?" Elinor asked, smiling.

=======================

Two days later:

Meridus was putting the saddle on Twilight's back. He made sure that the Night Fury was comfortable.

"Do you think she'll say yes, Twilight?" Meridus asked, somewhat nervous.

Today he was going to propose to Hicca. This was a first for him. He thought that he would never find a girl who would love him. However, he couldn't help but have doubts at the moment.

Twilight crooned and nuzzled against Meridus's cheek. Assuring him that Hicca will say 'yes'.

Meridus smiled as he placed his hand on Twilight's head, "Thanks, Twilight."

"Hey." 

Meridus turned around and saw Hicca standing there with Skylar beside her. Whenever he looked at Hicca, he felt his heartbeat pick up. To his point of view, Hicca was absolutely beautiful.

"Meridus?" Hicca asked, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"O-Oh, hey Hicca, are you ready to go?" Meridus stuttered.

"Yeah." Hicca replied.

The two mounted their dragons and Meridus led them to a forest clearing with beautiful flowers nearby. Meridus helped Hicca dismount which slightly confused her. Then he grabbed a basket and a blanket from his saddlebag. He held his arm out to her and she looped her arm around his. The two walked towards the middle of the clearing.

"When did you find this place?" Hicca asked.

"This is one of my favorite spots to relax. I wanted to show you this." Meridus replied as he placed the blanket down and then placed the basket in the middle of it.

"It's beautiful." Hicca commented, awed at the natural beauty of the forest. 

"Yes, you are." Meridus stated, smiling softly.

Hicca looked to her side and saw that Meridus was staring at her with loving eyes. She blushed as he stared at her. Then Meridus held both of her hands and looked into her eyes.

"Hicca, there's something I want to ask you." Meridus said.

"What is it?" Hicca asked.

"Ever since I was sixteen, I hoped to find a girl who would love me for who I am. Not as a prince, but as a man who loves his family and cares for his people." Meridus stated, "I began to lose hope whenever I met a princess who wanted to marry me because of my status. But they got turned away because of my attitude." He paused, "Then I met you."

"Me?" Hicca blinked in confusion.

"Yes, you. A beautiful, daring, brilliant and inventive girl who's able to ride a powerful dragon." Meridus stated, "I like to believe that maybe we were meant to meet."

"Really?" Hicca smiled.

Meridus smiled back, "Yes."

The wind gently blew by them, causing the flowers to sway back and forth.

"Hicca, I love you with all my heart. I ask you to stay by my side and become my queen." Meridus confessed, "Hicca Horrendous Haddock the Third, will you marry me?"

Hicca's eyes widened at Meridus's confession. She didn't think that Meridus would want to marry her! But that thought made her heartbeat pick up. She gained feelings towards Meridus since she first came to Dunbroch. Now, she knew the answer to his question.

"...Of course, yes! I do, Meridus!" Hicca shouted and wrapped her arms around Meridus's neck and kissed him.

Meridus wrapped his arms around Hicca's waist and then twirled around as they continued to kiss.

"I love you, Hicca." Meridus whispered against Hicca's lips.

"I love you too, Meridus." Hicca whispered back.

The two kissed again, completely happy.

.

.

.

However, they were unaware that part of Hicca's past would soon arrive in Dunbroch. One that she wished that would never come after her.