Quatre ɬ 4 (BWWM)

ÉTIENNE

While saddled with the chore of protecting the young princess, the Duke had much to consider. Since his home was obviously understaffed, the change in their original plans left him stuck at the estate pondering what to do with his unwanted guest as the most inappropriate societal trysts plagued him.

With his charge safely deposited in her room, the Duke's imagination spirited him back to the earlier brawl as she finished dressing for the evening.

In all his years, he could never recall such disgraceful behavior from one of his servants. Of course, he had entertained plenty of female companions in his home as well as at court. What troubled him most was the notion of those ladies sleeping about with the servants. The mere thought of it seemed unsavory. Indeed, it was vulgar.

His mind was pressed with visions of noble ladies freely rolling around with valets. Argentén men were known to enjoy their servants, from time to time. However, there was nothing about that which seemed inappropriate. A lady, on the other hand, should be far removed from such tawdry behavior. After all, this was his opinion, and everyone was fully aware of it.

Étienne stood guard outside her door determined to protect Princess Adonia from any further intrusions.

Typically, he lived at the king's palace only visiting his properties once a week to monitor the lands and ensure his tenants' welfare was all in order. Because he was sent to welcome and deliver the foreign guests to Vallée, he had previously recalled there was no need to summon more than what was judged to be an adequately sized staff to maintain the grounds in his absence.

It hadn't occurred to him that there would be a necessity for more servants in his home. Instead, his plan was to provide the group with a meal and lodging until morning then swiftly be on their way. Due to the impatient nature of his father, all but the princess, one of her maids, and himself were left in the residence with a handful of servants.

Before the majority of their party left to meet with the king, one of Princess Adonia's young maidens was quite insistent that she must gather supplies for her mistress, citing the troubles the princess had previously encountered during the difficult journey.

It was reported to the Duke that twenty of the twenty-two days, while they were at sea, the rocking of the ship disagreed with his young guest. It was her first time traveling so far away from home and apparently, the voyage did not sit well with the princess.

The maiden rushed to set aside native food and treatments that were brought along on the trip from Curia to Argenté. She made it clear that her princess required specific items before their party traveled onward to the palace.

He resented the fact that his father had sent for the two princes. Because their sister was feeling quite unwell, he became the unofficial nanny. The idea sent him into fits merely considering how ridiculous it was for a man of his stature and worldly knowledge to be entrusted with the care of such a buxom young woman.

Briefly, his mind wandered back to their earlier encounter where he was privy to something a man had not the power to unsee. She may be young, but her form was rather encouraging. That experience alone led him to believe that it was impossible to leave her unattended even for short periods of time.

Surely, any man who sought her out would find himself unrepentantly seduced by the sight of her. An uneducated undisciplined bastard would be far too weak-minded to walk away from such a delectable treat.

Étienne shook off the evil machinations of his mind. It would not be said that she was defiled under his roof bringing shame and ridicule to his family's honor. After all, she was a princess. Though her skin was the color of fertile soil, some men would look beyond that displeasing characteristic only to see a flower in full bloom ripe for the picking.