FIFTY-SEVEN | IRL

𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒚

Riley pulled up to the front of Topanga State Park slowly, her heart beating fast. Of course, the pessimist inside of her said that Mia was probably abducted and she had come too late. She was seething inside, completely angry that Justin would leave her sister alone in the middle of the night. As quickly as she could, she pulled into a parking space and hopped out, running full speed into the park.

Across the opening gate there was a chain stretched, but she easily hopped it and made her way further inside. It being nighttime, she couldn't see super well, so she turned on her phone flashlight and began calling for her sister.

"Mia!" There was no answer. "Mia, where are you?"

Frantically, as her heart rate increased erratically, she dialed her sister and waited for her to pick up.

"Mia?"

There was silence on the line for a second. "Uh, yeah?"

"What the heck? Where are you?" Riley felt close to tears, worried that it was too late by now.

Mia stammered, "I, uh, I'm by the parking lot. Go back."

"Okay..." Riley's eyebrows furrowed with confusion as she turned around and walked back. "I'm walking back now. I didn't see you before, so I was really confused."

As she came back up to the entrance of the park, another car pulled up and someone got out. He made his way around the car, calling out, "Hey, are you-"

Riley froze.

As the boy stepped into the light, there stood Vinnie, his eyes equally filled with shock as hers. The silence was deafening. They didn't know if they should say something or run away or start crying.

"Oh, I didn't- hey, R-Riley. I-I'm sorry, I was just looking-" Vinnie couldn't even finish his sentence.

"Hey, Ri?" Mia spoke up on the phone Riley was holding, which she had now dropped at her side. As she heard her sister's voice, Riley jumped, picking up her phone to her ear.

"Y-yeah?"

"I actually think I'm fine now. Have fun talking it out!" Mia let out a giggle. "I heard you guys always wanted to see shooting stars and they're great this time of year at Topanga!" With that, she hung up abruptly. There was a harsh silence.

Vinnie laughed awkwardly. "Let me guess, you got set up to come out here too?"

"Guess so," Riley tried to smile, her hands shaking. She couldn't believe he was standing in front of her. The only time she'd seen him in the past many weeks was in her dreams...and even then, often he was distant and cloudy.

Within seconds, he closed the space between them and had her in his arms. "Geez, I missed you," he whispered, "I know I'm not supposed to be talking to you and that we should both leave, but I don't care."

Recovering from her shock, Riley jumped into his arms, wrapping her legs around his torso and hugging him as tightly as she could. "I missed you too," she barely got the words out; her whole body was shaking and she couldn't believe he was here, and she was in his arms.

"I've been miserable since we stopped talking," murmured Vinnie, his voice barely audible. "I'm so sorry for everything...the hate, the way I didn't defend you...and that this turned out this way."

"Don't," she whispered, stopping him. "It's not your fault."

"Then whose fault is it?"

The question went unanswered. He let Riley down, taking her hand gently.

"We both said once we wanted to go see the shooting stars," she whispered, a small smile appearing on her face. "As much as I hate Mia's scheming, I can't deny that this is a pretty great idea."

He nodded, laughing unexpectedly. "Those weirdos."

They made their way back into the park, finding a place to sit and talk. They found a small area of grass that seemed soft enough, and Riley leaned back against his chest to see the stars while he hugged her closely.

"So what do we do now?" Vinnie asked, his voice filled with uncertainty. He was loving being with her, but there was still a reason they had broken up.

Riley's gaze drifted upwards as she watched the stars above them. "I have no idea."

"That makes two of us," he chuckled, kissing her cheek.

They say in silence for a second, until Riley jumped up. "Look!" As he joined her, standing, a pair of shooting stars shot across the sky. A few more streaks of light followed, quickly, then disappearing in an instant. Vinnie's eyes caught a few more, but he couldn't stop looking at her.

The way she stood enraptured, in love with the universe and covered in a joy that seemed to never ebb. He'd seen her admiring the stars when they'd stargazed before, but never in this light. Her arm was outstretched towards the sky, pointing to another shooting star, and her other hand reached out to take his. She squeezed her eyes shut, saying something excitedly about wishing on a star. He barely noticed, unable to take his eyes off of her.

It was like his soul was interconnected with hers, like he could feel everything she felt. He never felt so alive as he did when he was with her.

"I think I'm in love with you." He murmured, pulling her closer to his chest.

Riley froze against him, turning her head slowly to see him. "What?"

"I'm in love with you." He burst out, unable to contain himself anymore. "I tried to avoid making anything official with you because I was scared...but I don't know what of. Every fear I've ever had seems to go away when I'm with you. You make me the happiest I've ever been and I've never felt so loved and safe before."

"I can't run away any longer from love." Vinnie went on passionately, "I don't care any more what my stupid fans say...I'll even quit social media if it means I get to love the only one who has ever made me happy."

Riley was silent, her eyes filled with tears. "Say something," he whispered desperately, cupping her face with his hands.

"I love you too, Vinnie." She finally spoke, as the tears began to roll down her cheeks. "I'm ready to take on the hate. I don't care what they say...I mean, I've always said that we need to live our own lives and not just do what makes others happy. Let's not run away from love anymore."

"No more." Vinnie agreed, wiping the tears from her cheeks and kissing her gently.

It was a beautiful picture - just the two of them, in each other's arms under the stars. All the struggles and pain they'd gone through in the past weeks was healing...almost gone as a distant memory. The hate had been strong, but their love was stronger.

They were just two kids, not-so-stranded in LA, never to be lonely again.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
______________

sorry this chapter took a little bit to publish!! i was out of town and i wanted this chapter to be as good as i could 🥺 i hope i did them the long-awaited justice lol

there r still happy conclusion chapters to come so hold on :D

happy new year and i hope you know that you're loved ❤️❤️❤️❤️