THIRTY-NINE | IRL

𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒚

Saturdays. The day to finally relax and enjoy life. Doing online school while living in LA and trying to keep up with all the projects her manager found for her was tiring. Especially since she was new to fame and the big city, it took a lot to balance everything and keep her grades up. But of course, she was grateful, knowing it was an honor to be able to have the opportunities and to live in LA. She enjoyed it, but always breathed a sigh of relief during the free weekends.

Today, Vinnie has been at a modeling shoot, so her Saturday morning was being spent thrifting instead. She was alone, since Mia was out with Justin and she was too shy to ask someone else to come with.

The ambiance of the thrift shop was calm and relaxing, with old 70's music playing softly from the speakers and not too many people shopping. Riley hummed lightly to herself, swiping through a rack of vintage sweaters. So far, she'd only found a few pieces she planned to buy.

"Uh, excuse me?"

Riley jumped slightly, turning as a teenage girl tapped her on the shoulder. Behind her were two other girls. "Hey, we noticed you from over there...you're from tiktok, aren't you?"

Today, Riley decided, she wasn't going to let her social anxiety get ahold of her. She smiled, ignoring her rising heart rate. "Yeah, I am."

The girl in the back looked Riley up and down. "You're a lot shorter in person. And less giggly."

Nudging her, the girl next to her nodded. "I mean, it's probably just because she's not with Vinnie. I bet she's just like that with him."

A sight frown formed on Riley's face. It was odd that they spoke to her as though she wasn't a normal human like they. They spoke as though she wasn't even standing there. The girl in the front grinned. "Anyways, so how is Vinnie? I bet he's the best boyfriend ever. He's literally like so perfect. Like too good for almost anyone. I was like, so surprised when I saw about you two. You don't seem like his type, even. No offense of course." She covered up her offensive statement with an ugly laugh.

Forcing a laugh, Riley answered politely, "Oh, we're not dating."

The two girls in the back giggled, exchanging looks. "Okay, that's good."

"Yeah..." At this point, Riley didn't even know what to say. She was both offended by and terrified of them.

"Could we take a picture with you?" The girl in the front finally asked. Of course, Riley obliged, and she ended up making a few tiktoks with them as well, during which they pretended to like her.

As they finished, one of them told her to say hi to Vinnie for them. When they were finally gone, Riley was beyond embarrassed. She felt completely demoralized and insignificant. Feeling on the verge of tears, she texted her sister.