Chapter 30: Truth or Dare

Annabeth POV:

I tried my best not to look immediately at Percy, but my heart was beating fast. The rest of the group laughed. 

"Well, hold on Travis, don't be so creepy," Piper said quickly. "You guys don't even know Annabeth yet and you're already trying to get your brother to kiss her."

I tried to give Piper the most grateful look I could think of. Percy looked relieved, Connor looked disappointed. 

"You make a good point, though," Connor said quickly. "Annabeth, we don't even know you."

I blushed. "And?"

"So I think we should do a quick-fire round of truths, just to get to know you a little better," Connor suggested. 

"What's the point in that?" Reyna asked, leaning forwards slightly. I kept a smile to myself, noticing how protective Reyna had become of me lately. I regretted ever thinking negatively of her in the past. 

"Oh, come on, it'd be fun," Connor reassured me. "I just want to know a bit more about Piper's new friend. What do you say, Annabeth?"

I thought about this for a moment. I hadn't wanted to make friends with people today; that had never been my intention. The plan had been to stay quietly in the corner and let Piper enjoy an evening with her friends, but I had drunk one too many drinks and was now filled with a confidence I didn't want. 

"Sure, fire away," I nodded at Connor. He grinned.

"What's your full name?"

"Annabeth Frederica Chase."

"Why Frederica?"

"My Dad's name is Frederick."

"Where were you born?"

"San Francisco."

"Why did you move to New York?"

The divorce. "Needed a change of scenery."

"What's your favourite school subject?"

"History."

"Why?"

"Mr Brunner's a good teacher."

"Are you single?"

Don't look at Percy. "Yes." It hurt to say it.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

Don't look at Thalia. "Yes."

"Who?"

DON'T LOOK AT THALIA. "You don't know him."

"Are you secretly dating Piper?"

I giggled. "I wish."

"What does that mean?"

"It's a fancy way of saying no," I smiled, and Piper laughed. 

"Are you looking for a boyfriend?"

"Definitely not."

Connor looked deflated. "A girlfriend, then?"

"I'm straight, if that's what you're asking."

"What are those bruises I saw on your arm?"

I blanched, thrown off by the question. I had begged Piper all week to not make it a pool party, knowing that my bruises would be on show, but you can only ask someone so many times before it becomes suspicious. Luckily, it had been at least a week since Penelope had last hit me and the majority of my bruises had disappeared, but a few still remained.