Chapter 3: Change of Plans

Percy POV:

Thanks to my excessive training that I did almost every single day, my fitness was in top peak. As a result, whilst my fellow teammates struggled against cramp and fatigue in our sixth hour of training, I swam happily through the water, allowing the chlorine-filled liquid to wash over me and distract me from everything else in life. Despite the roar of the water in my ears and the yells of Coach Hedge through his new mega-phone, the swimming did nothing to drown out the noise of swooning juniors, who seemingly had nothing better to do on a Saturday other than watch my team do lengths.

"Can't get enough of you, can they, Jackson?" Dakota mocked. I scowled at him when he wasn't looking; Dakota was a school bully and downright creep, having justly received the reputation due to his tendency to get drunk at every party and perv on all the girls.

"Yeah, what's your trick?" Lester grinned mischievously. I liked Lester – he trained hard at practise, was generally quite an easy-going, kind dude, and my heart went out to him as he always tried, unsuccessfully, to find a girlfriend.

"I don't have one," I sighed. "I didn't ask for-"

"Are you ladies done with the gossiping?" Coach Hedge screamed through the mega-phone. "Enough chattering, more swimming!"

"Someone needs to tell that guy that he doesn't need to shout into a mega-phone," Charles laughed. "It's already loud enough."

"Hey, if you want to tell him, be my guest," I smiled back at my friend.

By the time that even I got tired, the rest of the team had given up and had retired to the side of the pool. Looking through the skylight over our heads, I could see that it was already starting to get dark outside. Well, I could think of worst ways to spend a Saturday – and besides, I had plans to meet up with my friends later, which I was looking forwards to.

"See you at Jason's later?" Charles asked me whilst we got changed.

"Sure, what time?" I replied. I always enjoyed hanging out at Jason's – his Dad was some well-off businessman who worked in the Empire State Building, whilst his mother had found success as a Broadway actress. Needless to say, his apartment was really nice; one of those two story places where even the bathroom made my apartment look tiny in comparison.

"I think Selena said 7. All I know is – pizza and drink."

"Drink?" I teased. "Not a chance, Jason would never allow it!"

The guy winked and tapped a finger to his nose. "What he doesn't know won't hurt him."

Charles ran off to visit his girlfriend's house as I slowly made my way out of the changing rooms and into the busy street. On the way out, as I was scrolling through my music, my shoulder bumped against someone who was also looking at their phone. 

"Sorry," I mumbled. I didn't bother to stop - what? This was New York; bumping into people here was about as common as spotting a yellow taxi on the roads. I didn't see much of the girl I had bumped into, only that she wore a Yankees cap. Obviously, she had taste. 

Earphones already blasting music out into my ear, I skated and weaved my way through the crowds, carefully avoiding everyone that walked passed, thanks to my years of experience of this mode of transport. When I reached the skate-park and found Grover sat by the benches, my phone buzzed in my pocket.

Change of plans, party tonight at J's, instead of a gathering. Invite as many people as possible XD – Leo.

Leo, I did not agree to that! – Jason

Too late J-Man, half of the Senior's are already invited ;) – Travis

Can't wait! Xx – Selena