Unspoken words

Oh, how I wish I was a bride again. I had to do nothing on the 2nd day of my marriage. Mom did everything. I just had to smile at people. It was making my 5th time of making tea for people, and It was just 2 PM. I wanted this day to be over already. Shiksha with Rahul was going her house today and Payal with Anil were coming here. I wanted to meet my daughter.

I poured tea into cups and carried it out to people. I searched for Avishek to give him a cup. Mom said he wanted one too. I don't know why he didn't tell me straight. It's not like I was going to deny him. I saw him talking to few men and carried the cup. I was contemplating on whether to call him or just give the cup, but then decided to just give as I have never once in my life called him. I tapped his shoulder and waited for him to turn around.

After yesterday's event, I couldn't look at him. I was hurt that he talked to me like that, and I was embarrassed that he knew that even my family didn't want me. I handed him the cup and smiled at the men asking if they needed tea too. Once they said no, I turned without looking at him again. I doubt he still remembered what he said yesterday. He was emotional, sensitive about his daughter leaving and took out on me. I will never ever in my life try to comfort him again.

Later that evening, an hour later after Shiksha and Rahul left, Payal and Anil arrived. It's hard to believe this is the same girl as yesterday who wouldn't let go of her father. She was so cherry and happy right now.

 Good, I thought, she should always be happy. We talked for hours that night after dinner. Her, mom and me. We wanted to make sure if she felt good vibe in her house. I felt weirdly very light that night, listening to Payal and her new house stories. I never got to do this myself. I tried to imagine me going to a house with loving mother who cared if my new family treated me right, but the image was very blurry. I wanted to laugh. I couldn't even imagine a fake family who loved me. I shook my head as if to disperse my thoughts.

We went to sleep quite late that night. There were no relatives left that day. It was only family. Upon reaching the room I was shocked to see Avishek still awake and scrolling on the phone.

What is he doing awake? I wondered as I disappeared into the bathroom to get ready for the night.

He was lying still, hands behind his head, staring up at the ceiling when I entered the room.

I turned off the lights and slipped inside the comforter. I was about to fall asleep when I heard Avishek speaking.

"Is she alright? Are they treating her well?"

He was awake this late because of this?

"Yeah, I guess. She looks very happy. She also spoke highly of her in-laws." I reply quietly.

He hummed and didn't talk for a while.

He could've asked this to Payal himself. Why is he asking me?

"Listen, I- "

"What is it?" I ask when he falls quiet mid-sentence.

"Nothing, goodnight" he says and turns towards his side.

What?! 

I turn towards him staring at the darkness ahead of me.

What was he trying to say? I fell asleep with this thought in my head.