Meeting His Past

Avishek was waiting for me in the car. Our house wasn't that far away. It took maybe around half an hour. I looked at Avishek when he took the wrong turn. He looked tensed and dazed. 

"You took a wrong turn." I said.

"I know. We have to go somewhere else first." He said, distracted.

"Everything alright?" I asked, concerned.

He didn't reply. Just looked straight ahead. 

Okay, then.

Maybe after 20 minutes, he stopped the car in front of a café. Sunshine Café, it said. Curious, I followed him inside. He looked around the place as if searching for someone when he suddenly went still. I followed his eyes to see a woman, maybe our age, looking at Avishek too. I don't know how long they stared at each other and I was starting to get a sinking feeling in my chest. I didn't like where this was going.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, he moved towards her. My legs carried me involuntarily as well. Standing in front of the teary-eyed woman, cold seeped inside my bones when I saw Avishek's eyes welling up too.

It had to be her.

I felt like an intruder, looking at something I had no right to look at.

"Ruchika", Avishek whispered.

"Long time Avi" she replies smiling as a lone tear dropped from her eyes.

I wanted to get out of there, I didn't want to see my husband's past, but it was as if I was rooted on the spot.

"H- ", his voice cracked, "How are you?"

"I'm okay. How are you? How is uncle, aunty?" 

She knew mom and dad too?

"They are good. They just moved in with Rahul" he said, "my son."

It was as if a bucket of water poured over both of them and they finally seemed to notice me. I should have definitely left when I had the chance.

"Is she your wife?" she asked hesitantly.

"Yes", Avishek said no more.

Is he not going to introduce me?

I should leave. It's clear, they wanted to be alone, to talk about whatever the hell they wanted to talk.

I managed a smile and said, "I'll wait in the car", and left before anyone said anything.

I walked out of the café, walked to the car, opened the door and flopped into the passenger seat. She's back. The love of his life, she's back. Whenever my mind wandered about Avishek's past, I had always pictured that girl as this beautiful woman who turned heads when she walked into the room. I was right. Ruchika was beautiful. Even with dark circles under her eyes, messy hair that looked like she hadn't washed it for days, her tired smile, she was still beautiful. I could only imagine how she was when they were young. 

Why now though? After all these years? I didn't ask anyone about his past. I simply thought mom and dad didn't know about them, but based on what I heard, she clearly knew them.

I sat there lost in my thoughts for almost an hour. 

Idiot, why the hell would he even remember you when he was with Ruchika now. You should've told him that you were going to leave. 

Should I leave now? Is he going to worry if he won't see me here?

Yeah, right, my brain scoffed.