Making a new friend

After a long time, I woke up with peaceful mind. I stretched my body, still in bed and looked at Avishek beside me. He didn't know, but his words had restored my peace of mind twice, 2 days in a row. All this time, I was under the impression that Ruchika was going to divorce her husband, but yesterday what Avishek said, cleared my doubts. Ruchika was just trying to clear her muddy thoughts so that she could start anew with her husband. That meant, no matter how much my family liked her, she wasn't going to take my place.

His conversation with Ruchika yesterday surprised me. He was very calm and unbothered while telling her to talk with her husband. I thought he'd be disturbed by seeing his loved one go back to someone else, but he was strangely unbothered. 

He was still asleep, so,  took my time, looking at him. This man was my husband, but he lived like my housemate, we didn't talk much, but he had now twice cleared up my insecurities without knowing. A smile spread on my face thinking our recent conversation. It wouldn't seem much to others, but to us, it was a big deal.

I was so lost in my thought; I didn't even notice him opening his eyes. After few seconds, it registered on my mind that he was awake, and he was looking at me looking at him like a creep, smiling.

I shot out of the bed stumbling on my blanket.

"Good morning." I greeted and ran to the bathroom like I was on fire.

Idiot, idiot. I chanted looking at the mirror.

I relived my embarrassment for few more minutes before doing my business and came out of the bathroom. I avoided looking at him and hightailed to the bedroom door. I let out the sigh of relief and leaned on the counter when I entered the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" I shrieked at Ruchika's voice.

"Don't scare me like that", I turned towards her trying to calm my heart.

"Sorry" she laughed.

Strangely, her presence didn't bother me today. Maybe it was because I knew she was here because she genuinely wanted to find the missing part of herself, maybe it was because I knew she wasn't here to take my place, maybe because of unbothered Avishek telling her to sort things out with her husband.

Whatever the reason was, I was glad. I was tired with the constant back and forth with my mind.

Avishek came into the room yawning. I turned to make tea for all of us.

"Good morning" she greeted him.

"Morning" he greeted back and settled on the chair. He was in my peripheral vision and I could not face him because I was still embarrassed.

"Will you come with me for shopping today?" Ruchika asked.

Shopping and Avishek, I wanted to scoff. That man would rather clean the whole house than go to shopping.

There was a silence in the kitchen before it hit me, she was asking me.

I looked towards her, "me?" I asked.

"Who else am I going to ask? This guy?" she pointed her thumb towards him and scoffed.

"I wouldn't go even if you did ask" he said, sleep still coating his voice.

"I wouldn't ask you anyway. Please, I have to buy some stuff and I don't want to shop alone", she pleaded.

If she had asked me this yesterday, I would not think twice before saying no. Today though, I was a bit hesitant. But I gave in looking at her face, "Okay."