10. Competition

"You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly in times of great trouble?" ~ A. Dumbledore

The Daughter

ME: Hey doc, I dunno bout you but I'm real tired after this past week. was thinking of taking this next week as part of my holiday. what d'you think?

ME: If you thought it was a bad idea all you had to do was say so Mr-Responsible

ME: Ok then, fine, totally ignore my texts it's not like I'm easily hurt or anything

ME: are you dead?

ME: did the team leave you behind at the airport?

ME: did a hawk-eyed-eagle swoop down and steal your phone?

ME: AM I TEXTING A HAWK-EYED-EAGLE???

ME: have you caught the thumb-plague and are subsequently unable to reply to my texts?

ME: have you bumped your head and are consequently laying paralysed waiting for your knight-in-shining-armour to come to rescue you?

ME: did you drop your phone in a cup of coffee again?

ME: 4 rl Spence y u do dis?

ME: I vow to consistently text you every minute for the next hour using only text lingo until you reply. and believe me when I say I WILL CARRY OUT THIS PROMISE.

SPENCER: I am not dead I am merely having some alone time to think about things. just because I'm taking my week's holiday this week doesn't mean you need to as well.

ME: YOU'RE ALIVE! THANK GOD.

SPENCER: You're an Atheist. Have a good night Melanie.

ME: Was it something I said?

SPENCER: I'm just not up for talking, I need to be alone right now. Good night x

I sat in my car in the car-park at FBI HQ staring at Spencer's messages and hearing Garcia's words.

If I hadn't convinced myself before, then I certainly was convinced now.

I drove home and packed a bag consisting of; ultra-embarrassing PJs, a box of popcorn, my Doctor Who box set, my Sherlock Holmes box set, my Tardis cushion, my sonic-screwdriver toothbrush and some totally unhealthy snacks.

Once my backpack was ready I slung it over my shoulder along with my satchel. I laid out fresh food and water for Milky before saying goodbye and heading back out again.

Once in the car, I called Spencer but he totally ignored it before turning his cell off altogether so my calls wouldn't go through. 

When that didn't work I tried his house-phone; not that that made much difference either way and instead of a dialling tone I was met with his voicemail.

"Hey, Spence it's me, Mel. Listen I know you said you wanted to be alone tonight but truth is, I'm kinda creeped out at home right now and I want to see your goofy expression when you see my Tardis cushion so, I was thinking of bringing take-out to yours if you won't come to mine. 

"I'm on my way to the restaurant right now so if you don't call me back I s'pose I'll have to guess your order..." I paused before sighing. "Alright, well, I'll be over ASAP..." Another pause and another sigh. "See you soon." I ended the call through handsfree and pulled up outside the restaurant.