4. Skin

"Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd." ~ Bertrand Russell

The Daughter

It'd been three months since I'd joined the BAU and I was loving every day of it. Even the paper work side of things. Mostly due to the fact that whenever we had forms to fill, Morgan JJ and I would tease Reid and he'd only throw facts at us until we were silenced into awe.

I dumped my bag at my desk and hurried up the few short stairs to the conference room where the team were getting settled at the table.

Reid was by the coffee table pouring a cup and as I sat down he lifted a mug to me and I nodded my head, smiling at Garcia as she entered the room; full of business.

As she started the briefing, Reid took to his seat next to me and passed my cup of coffee. I thanked him quietly before turning my emotional eyes to the screen where Garcia was showing us the latest kill in Los Angeles.

"Garcia, get your bag ready, I want you on this case with us." Hotch said as we gathered our files and prepared to leave.
"S-sir?" Garcia gulped nervously, gathering her laptop into her hands.
"We need you there, Garcia." He said matter-of-factly, marching out of the room.
"Sir." She nodded and hurried out the other door nervously.

"Knock, knock." I said at Garcia's office door after gathering my go-bag.
"Ah Princess Joy and happiness, what can I do you for my little sugarplum?" I smiled at her effervescent happiness and clear distress.

"Do you need a hand?" I asked her politely.
"Oh no no, I should be alright if I can just..." She groaned, yanking on a cable and then staggering backwards as it came free suddenly. "Got it." She sighed and wrapped the cable together, shoving it inside it's case and then into her suitcase, zipping it closed.

"You ready?" I offered and she grinned, nodding.

It was going to be interesting to have Garcia on the road with us; I'd never experienced a case so far where she'd had to come along. She didn't seem too keen on the idea; but having her with us would certainly brighten things up a bit; that's for sure.

The Doctor

The plane ride was the same as always; briefing and divvying up of jobs. Garcia, Joy and I were being sent to the police station to get started on victimology.

"Hi, you must be the FBI." The words belonged to a man in a grey suit and blue shirt and tie. "I'm Detective Matthers. Welcome to LA."

"Yes, hello," Joy greeted, shaking the Detective's hand. "I'm Agent Joyner, this is Ms Garcia and Doctor Reid, the rest of our team are with the family and the crime scene. Do you have everything we requested?" The Detective nodded.

"Of course, right this way." He led us into a small room at the back of the station. There was a desk and a cardboard box full of water along with several marker boards.

"If you need anything, anything at all, don't hesitate to ask." He said with a firm nod before leaving the room.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna get a coffee before we set up. You kids want anything?" Garcia asked, parking her suitcase at the back of the room.
"Coffee sounds great Garci, thanks." Joy smiled, setting her bag down on the desk. I nodded in agreement and Garcia left.

"Hey," I said, approaching Joy while we were alone. "You alright?" I asked, observing her watery eyes.

"What?" She asked defensively, turning her back on me and acting as though she was raking through the box of waters.