Chapter Twenty-One

Rhiannon has her eyes closed as she leans against the railing of the bridge. Letting the spring breeze wash over her skin. She can smell it. the competition in the air. They've been told it will tonight. The third and last task. It's here.

"Rhian" Harry greets as he walks towards her, she turns to him and smiles.

"Hey" She offers. "Nervous?" She asks, he nods. She moves closer to him. "Just remember what we talked about," She tells him, placing her hand on his chest over his heart. "Forget us....just focus on tapping into your magic, listen to the sound of your heart beating, the sound of your lungs filling with air....just focus on you" He nods and covers her hand with his, the two of them sharing a look. "You can do this" She whispers and gives him a small smile. "Whatever this is"

"So can you" He counters, she scoffs and shakes her head. "Rhian...." He scolds a little. "You're one of the smartest witches I've ever met...if you don't win this...." He steps closer to her. "You are the only one that deserves it. You've worked so hard..."

"So has everyone else" She argues. "Fleur and Cedric have worked just as hard as I have...as we have...just because they're older and have more spells in their bank, does not mean it is easier," She tells him, he nods a little. Seeing her point. She leans up from the railing. "I want to go through a few books before the task," She tells him. "I'll see you later..." She starts to walk away. Harry takes a deep breath and nods to himself. He grabs her wrist and pulls her back to him, crashing his lips to hers. She kind of freezes against him. And he almost panics, fears he's gone too far she is kissing him back, her free arm wrapping behind his neck, fingers brushing against the back of his head before she pulls back. He is quick to look away, blushing. Rhiannon chuckles a little. "Well..." She clears her throat. "What a way to wish a girl luck" She teases slightly, he laughs softly and nods. The two of them sharing a look, both worried about what is about to happen. She hugs him. His arm tightens around her back as he hugs her back.

...........

Outside of a maze as the sunsets, the champions are all gathered, each at a separate entrance. Stood with their champions are Karkaroff for Rhiannon, Madame Maxime for Fleur, Amos Diggery for Cedric. They are all nervous. Rhiannon listens to Karkaroff who whispers urgently in her ear. Devising a plan of action. She already knows how that is going to go. She has her own plan. She looks through the nearest entrance and sees the long threatening tunnel of the Maze's first alley stretching away from her, high and full of shadows. Moodey limps over to where Harry stands alone, roughly squeezes his shoulder. Dumbledore addresses the gathered crowd.

"Earlier today Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as, Miss Grindelwald...." The crowd cheers, which still feels weird to Rhiannon, she is pretty sure it has been a long time since anyone cheered for a Grindelwald. "Is in first place. She will be the first to enter the maze" Dumbledore offers. "Followed by Mr Potter...Mr Diggery and then lastly, Miss Delacour. And scoring is close...the first person to touch the Cup will be the first Tri-Wizard champion in over one hundred years. Now, I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather round. Quickly." The four of them all shift closer to Dumbledore. "In the maze you'll find not dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead, you'll face something more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh find the cup if you can, but be very weary you could just lose yourselves along the way." Dumbledore offers them and then pulls back turning back to the crowd. Harry and Rhiannon share a look. "Champions! Prepare yourselves." Karkaroff squeezes her shoulder as Attila rubs up against her side. The animal is more worried than the man. This is something he can't help her with, despite it literally being in his bond to her. She scratches his head and nods reassuringly to him. "On the count of three... ONE..." The cannon goes off. Mr Filch shrugs comically. Dumbledore groans. Rhiannon enters the maze, her wand clasped tightly in her hand, in her other, a rune stone, the engraved magic lighting up, meant to keep her calm. She's not sure it's working right now. Behind her, the maze rustles as it closes, trapping her within until the end. Then it falls utterly silent and still. She can't even hear the other champions. Rhiannon takes a deep breath and moves forward, her steps slow and cautious, if she ever finds out who did this to her, she might just kill them. Stuff the consequences, it would be worth it. Hedges around her begin to tremble with the wind. Then a noise that has Rhiannon spinning to seek out the source. Nothing. She finds nothing. She takes a few steps backwards before turning and walking on. She soon comes to a crossroads. But each direction is short, leading to more crossroads. She closes her eyes and then turns, picking one before she opens her eyes and walks on.

...........

Harry hurries through the maze, a breeze rattling the hedges as he moves. A rustling around him, he picks up the pace. He runs, turns a corner and then disappears into the mist.

...........

Rhiannon holds out her wand and takes a breath, she is still spooked, and still very much lost. Dumbledore was not wrong about this one. She clutches to her wand and takes a deep breath.

"Lumos" she casts and turns with her wand as it lights up, giving her a chance to see in the dark. It's eerie. Her heart pounds in her ear and she clutches to her rune stone harder, her fingers turning white. She comes to another junction, her eyes unsure as she looks between her options. Behind her, hedge twist and move in the wind, almost contorting. She takes a deep breath and picks one before moving on. There is a noise behind her, a rustling, she turns alarmed, scared. When she spins, there is a blinding light before her, she cries out and turns her head. The runestone drops from her hand and her eyes cloud over.