Chapter Twenty-Four

Rhiannon and Hermione walk through the halls together, this could very well be the last time they see one another. Rhiannon is to return to Durmstrang, Hermione will come back to Hogwarts next year.

"I'm going to miss you" Hermione admits. "It's been nice, having someone around that's as smart as me" Rhiannon chuckles and looks at her.

"I'm going to miss you too" Rhiannon assures her. "I haven't been around other witches...but I kind of like it...." Ahead of them, Ron and Harry stand talking together as they wait for the two girls. Harry sees them first, turning to watch them.

"He's going to miss you as well, you know" Hermione offers warmly, Rhiannon hums in agreement, because she knows she's going to miss him too. He waves at them both, giving Rhiannon a warm smile. Hermione releases Rhiannon and lets her walk on ahead to meet Harry.

"How's your arm?" She asks him, he nods.

"Better" He answers. "Your head?" She smiles.

"Better" She repeats, he smirks and gives her a look, she shrugs back, then steps closer to him. Harry kisses her softly. Sort of saying goodbye. She will sit with the Durmstrang students at dinner and then they and the Beauxbatons will be leaving after. Ron smirks and goes to make a comment, Hermione elbows him in the ribs to stop him. Rhiannon pulls back. "Harry Potter" Rhiannon states, her eyes soft. "It's been fun...if not dangerous...."

"Only a little" He teases weakly, she hums and they share a sad look. "Write to me...Rhiannon Grindelwald" He reminds her, she nods and gives him a sad smile.

"Be careful..." She adds, kisses his cheek and then walks towards Viktor and Attila who wait for her. Harry turns to watch them head into the great hall, Hermione and Ron move closer to Harry.

...........

In the great hall, Rhiannon sits back at the Slytherin table beside Viktor. Instead of the usual coloured house flags, the entire hall is filled with black. Mourning. Dumbledore stands at the head of the hall.

"The end...of another year" He addresses them all. "Ordinarily this is a day of celebration, a day in which we recognise the accomplishments of ourselves and others. But today..." His eyes drift to an empty seat at the Hufflepuff table. "We acknowledge a terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as many of you know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and, most importantly, a fierce friend. I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died..." He pauses, just a moment. "Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort" Nervous whispers begin to spread through the hall. "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But to not do so is, to my mind, an insult to his memory." Harry glances around the hall. Fleur sits beside an ashen and pale Cho, gently clutching her hand. "It was the hope, in restoring the Triwizard Tournament, that magical tied would be deepened between those of us who come from different background" Harry's eyes meet Rhiannon's, she's upset, they all are. "In light of recent events, such ties will be more important than ever. Difference of habit and speech become meaningless when the language of our hearts is the same" Harry's eyes drift to the enchanted ceiling, where the sky shines blue. "With dark and difficult times comes a choice; between what is right and what is easy. Should you ever waver, remember a boy who was kind and brave and true...to the very end"

......

In Dumbledore's office, the man himself collects a box of scrolls from the top of his desk. He turns and hands it over to Rhiannon who takes it from him, glancing down at the contents.

"I have sent everything that needed to be sent back to the Ministry away," He tells her. "These are copies...It might take them a while to....reluctantly give you what is rightfully yours" She hums in agreement. "But you should receive a letter in a few weeks"

"Thank you," She tells him. "Not just for this, but...for the mirror and my dress....I..am sorry I was thrust upon you"

"You have nothing to be sorry about" He stops her. She nods a little and then goes to leave. "Actually, before you go...." Dumbledore stops her. "I have a proposition for you" He then motions behind Rhiannon to where Hecate lingers. "We do" Rhiannon turns to her mother and scowls.

"You have nothing to offer me" Rhiannon scolds.

"No, but he does" Hecate argues, Rhiannon turns back to Dumbledore who gives her a small nod.

"Fine" She manages. "What is it?" She asks. Hecate smirks a little, more to herself. This is a good idea and just what she needs. What the world needs.

...............

There's a large crowd gathered in the Hogwarts courtyard, the pupils are going home. Viktor gives Hermione a kiss and hands her some parchment.

"Write to me. Promise." He tells her, Hermione nods and gives him a small smile.

"Bye," Hermione tells Viktor who then walks away, joining a group of Durmstrang students. Ron is sitting alone. Fleur and Gabrielle approach him, they both, in turn, give him a kiss on each cheek.

"Au revoir, Ron," Fleur tells him before she walks away with her sister. The two schools start to head out of the courtyard, leaving. Rhiannon lingers a little with Attila. Her hand on his head as she glances up at the school. She lets out a breath and turns to look at Ron, Hermione, and Harry. She waves at the trio who smile and wave back at her before she turns and follows after the Durmstrang students. Ron looks at Harry and Hermione.

"Do you think we'll ever just have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" He asks them.

"No" Hermione answers quickly with a small smile.

"No, I don't think so." Harry agrees, Hermione's smile falls.

"Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" She voices, Harry nods.

"Yes," He tells her sadly.

"Promise you'll write this summer. Both of you." Hermione warns them as they start to walk away together.

"Well, I won't. You know I won't!" Ron points out.

"Harry will, won't you?"

"Yeah. Every week." They look over the balcony, the flying horses pulling a carriage head off into the distance. The Bulgarians' ship goes underwater. Harry's eyes sadden.

"You know" Ron starts. "I think I'm going to miss her" He admits, Hermione and Harry look at him, aware that Rhiannon wasn't his favourite person.

"Yeah, me too" Harry admits, Ron smirks at him, knows just why Harry is going to miss her. Ron makes kissy noises and Harry pushes him a little with a smile. Hermione watches the two of them warmly.