Nora Roberts Shit Like That

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

. . .

By late May, summer was blooming early and warm and fragrant in Philadelphia. Ella pulled her hair back in a low bun as she padded out onto the terrace. The sun was finally going down, painting the sky a pinkish orange. In the small view of the city past the other apartment buildings, she could see the buildings beginning to light up, tiny and twinkly. Jess was already out there, with a copy of Sharp Objects in hand. He chewed on his eraser, his brows furrowed as he concentrated on the words. There were already chunks of Ella's messy cursive decorating the pages, and she'd insisted he read it as soon as she finished it the week before. He was already three quarters of the way through.

"This book is fucking crazy, Stevens," he said as she walked out, not looking up from the text.

"Yeah, cutie. That's why I like it," she told him, smiling widely and leaning against the railing next to him.

"So unpredictable," he deadpanned.

"Whatever, James Dean," she replied, rolling her eyes and snorting a laugh.

Smirking, he finally shut the book and tossed it back onto one of the mismatched armchairs. Following her gaze, he saw the flaming orangey sun descending behind the cityscape. With the evening light reflected against her freckled face, he could see the green flecks in her eyes when he turned to look at her.

At first, she had not wanted to go to the graduation ceremony at all. She certainly wasn't walking across the stage in a gown. But, she decided to go for the undergrads she had been the teacher assistant for. They clapped in the auditorium, and went out with Chris, Leo, Matthew, and Mabel to try the new Italian restaurant, which ended up being decent. It wasn't entirely unceremonious, but there wasn't much fanfare. Jess didn't expect Ella to want anything more. She'd ended up finishing her finals a week before the actual ceremony, anyway.

But, still, she was finally done. Chris had even ordered a cake for the table in celebration, despite Ella's blushy protests. She doubted it would sink in for a while. She was a perpetual student, and was already beginning to feel anxious without steady classwork and homework. But she would start teaching her summer classes in a week or two, and she was planning to fill her time with art and helping out at Truncheon until then.

For the moment, though, she watched the sunset. She felt the night begin to cool down, breezes blowing past her. And Jess could practically feel her relax. Since deciding to take the job at Penn, she'd seemed calmer. He hadn't realized just how heavily it had been weighing on her until after it was over. She was using vibrant color in her paintings again, which he hadn't seen in what felt like years. She was coming around to Truncheon after her classes, spending nights with their friends up in the apartment. She was playing music with Leo and running lines with Mabel.

Of course, she still had days when she felt so hopeless about the state of her life, and honestly, the world, that she couldn't even explain her sadness. But she was working on it. She was trying. It made Jess so proud he almost couldn't handle it. Watching her, so comfortable in her own skin, made a tiny smirk form on his lips.

As though she could feel his gaze, she suddenly faced him again. "What?"

"Nothing," he said lightly. "Just looking at you."

"At me?" she mocked him with dramatic batting of her eyelashes and a breathy voice.

"What can I say? You're irresistible," he quipped with a shrug.

She rolled her eyes, trying to brush off the flush rising to her cheeks. "You have to stop saying Nora Roberts shit like that to me."

"Never," he shot back smugly.