Bowie Didn't!

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

.   .   .

Though the sign on the door read Closed, Ella gave only one knock and rushed in. She could see Luke closing up, wiping down the main counter. Upon looking up to see her, Luke groaned and hung his head. Ella only smiled, a slightly wicked look. The lights were turned down low and it was shadowy, adding to her fatigue. Sookie's wedding, out under the early summer sun, had been a fun, all-day affair, and it had taken the wind out of her. But she only had a night left before she shipped off to New Britain for the rest of June, and she had to get one dose of Luke's food in before the three-week excursion.

"Ella, how many times-"

"I'll help you clean up whatever mess I make, alright? I know the procedure," she insisted, her grin growing.

He sighed. "Fine."

"Thank you, Luke. I am eternally grateful," she said with mock severity. "I just had to get another look at the place before I depart forever."

Luke rolled his eyes. "You're only gonna be gone for a few weeks."

She scoffed. "To a youth like me, that's practically a lifetime."

"What can I get ya?" he snapped, over her theatrics, but in his usual gruff, lovable way.

"Fries, please. And a water?" she asked. Luke nodded and disappeared into the back.

Smiling still, she shrugged off her jean jacket, left in only the army green dress she'd worn to the wedding. The air was clear and full of promise. She would miss the diner, of course, but it would be a welcome escape from her family. Not that her father was entirely behind the idea, but she'd wheedled enough to get him to agree to not send the police looking for her while she was gone. It was odd, considering he usually gave less than one percent of a shit on a daily basis about where she was or what she was up to. Suddenly, feet thumped down the stairs to the apartment and Jess emerged from behind the checkered curtain. He was rubbing his big brown eyes with the heel of his hand. When he looked up and saw her sitting there, he staggered back in slight surprise.

"Hi," he said, nodding a little.

She raised her eyebrows at seeing him back in his old haunt. "Hi."

"So," Jess began with a sigh, raising his hands and gesturing to himself standing in the diner.

Ella nodded, pursing her lips. "Yep. Guess you didn't think to mention this on the phone two nights ago?"

He chuckled. "Of course I didn't. Gotta keep things exciting."

A crooked smirk on his face, Jess ambled over and leaned his forearms on the counter in front of her. Before she could ask him any questions, he shifted toward her and produced a shiny silver quarter from behind her ear. She furrowed her brows at the action but smiled. Holding out the coin to her, he smiled back. He heard Luke puttering around in the kitchen behind him. The deep fryer sizzled lowly. She took the quarter and rolled the cool metal between her fingers before shoving it in the pocket of her jacket.

"How was the wedding?" he asked, his chin propped up on his hand.

She shrugged. "It was a wedding."

"Hence the name."

Luke came back around with a basket of fries and a glass of water, eyeing Jess suspiciously, and said nothing as he set them down in front of Ella. She shot him a pointed look. "Thanks for keeping me in the know, boss."

Sighing, Luke rolled his eyes. "Seems like you figured it out on your own. You're gonna be gone all month anyway."

"Gone all month?" Jess echoed.