Nine

I was officially a month along, but my stomach hadn't grown an inch bigger. I was putting on some weight but my clothes still fit perfectly.

I had tried to keep my emotions in check and I did a somehow great job with that, because anytime I tried to think of Kelvin, I would try my best to block him out. Scratch that, i still thought about him every day because i failed pathetically at blocking him out. The funny part about everything was I understood his reason for  breaking up with me but that didn't make it less painful. I felt terrible for making a huge decision like that without waiting for him but I guess he would never understand me.

I had called my mom to tell her how great my job was going and that I was doing just fine. I was so glad that she was finally okay and my siblings were doing okay  too. That was the only happy thing in my life at the moment.

After taking a shower, I put on a simple loose gown and tied my hair in a bun. I was going to make a cake. Since everything was already boring me out, I might as well hop into baking. I got every single ingredients I needed and starting joyfully mixing my butter and sugar, humming a song which was playing from the loud speakers in the living room.

The sound of the door bell caught my attention. I dropped my mixer and pushed my batter bowl further away and in the process, knocking down the can of milk  that spilled on the floor. Great. Where was that mop again.

The door bell rang again and I groaned. Who could that be?  I got to the door and wasn't even surprised when I saw the maid again.

"Good day Miss Eva"

"You again" I smiled in disbelief
"What was your name again?"

"Clara"

"Clara, tell Mr Leonard to give up, I don't need a maid" I spat

"He doesn't give up miss Eva" I rolled my eyes.

"Well he will give up because you are gonna go back to him and tell him that I'm fine and I can take care of myself" She pursed her lips, her face looked worried and  a bit scared but that wasn't my problem.

"Miss Eva.. " I raised a finger up cutting her off. She sighed and turned around, so did I.

How annoying.

I walked back to the kitchen, totally forgetting the liquid on the floor that when I realised, it was too late. I slipped on the spilled milk on the tiled floor, my body hitting the floor with a lot of force. I screamed loud enough to almost pull down the roof and then tears followed.

The tears could have been from the pain that surged through my body like electricity from my waist, or it could have been from the fear I felt of loosing the pregnancy. I could not determine which.

I felt like my waist was broken in half, my tears rolled down my cheeks more as I tried to get up but I couldn't. My heart was beating so fast.

Where was my phone?  What was I supposed to do? I was alone in the house.

"Miss Eva?" Clara ran into the kitchen to see me on the floor. Oh Thank God. I had never been so happy to see her.

"Please help me" was the only thing I could say. She quickly started dialing a number on her phone, probably Leonard's number.

"Mr Leonard, Miss Eva slipped and fell on the floor" was all she said before she dropped the phone. My heart was in my throat. He would be so mad at me. At that point I wasn't even thinking about myself, I was only thinking about the baby. What if I got a miscarriage. Oh God. More tears ran down my cheeks.

"You will be fine Miss Eva" she successfully pulled me up from the floor. My body felt numb.

"Miss Eva" Clara looked at me with wide eyes then her eyes stared down at me. My heart skipped when I saw blood running down my legs.

No no no. Pls God no.

Suddenly Leonard was in my kitchen and before I could even blink, he carried me bridal style in his arms and rushed me outside to his car.

The only thing I felt was chills of horror. I couldn't loose this pregnancy. What would happen if I did?  All my efforts would be wasted. He would probably kick me out like trash. How would I explain that to my mom?  Would I have lost Kelvin for nothing?

"Please stop crying miss Eva" Clara said rubbing my hair soothingly "nothing will happen to the baby" I really hoped so.

We got to the hospital and I was placed on a stretcher and rolled to a room, where I was all alone with the doctor. She started doing her thing, running tests and other things I had no idea of.

I opened my eyes and was blinded by the bright lights. Did I fall asleep?

"How are you doing miss Eva" the doctor asked me

"How's the baby?" I completely ignored her question.

"The baby is fine, luckily" I let out a huge breath of relief. Never been so happy to be pregnant.
"you just lost a little blood due to the fall, apart from that, you have nothing to worry about. I gave you some painkillers so I'm guessing the pain you felt must have subsided, if so you are free to go home" she smiled at me.

"Thank you doctor" I was so relieved.

"You have to be very careful Miss Eva, any fall like that again and you could loose the baby" she told me and I nodded. She left the room just as Leonard walked in, his face emotionless as usual.

"You ready to go home?" He surprised me by asking. Wasn't he going to yell at me, wasn't he mad at me? I just swallowed the questions and nodded. He helped me off the bed and we all went home.

The ride home was so silent, it felt suffocating but I fought the urge to apologize.

When we arrived home, Clara followed into the house. I knew I couldn't reject her anymore.

"I'll go clean up the kitchen" she said and I just nodded, my eyes darting to Leonard. He was still silent. It made me even more agitated.

"Thank you" I muttered almost to myself.

"What were you thinking" he suddenly sparked, I flinched not expecting his tone of voice. I opened my mouth but nothing came out.

"What would have happened if Clara wasn't here? What if she had already left since you sent her away again" he voice went up the roof, "why are you so stubborn" I knew this would come but I didn't think he would yell at me like this.

"I wouldn't have forgiven you if you lost my baby" He pointed at finger at me as a sign of warning. my heart shrank inside in chest.
Tears suddenly rushed down my face. I was so speechless. I couldn't say a word at him. I get it that he has the right to be mad at me but not yell at me, it was just a simple mistake.

I broke down in tears which surprised both me and him. He dropped his hand down so fast as if he regretted speaking to me like that. I couldn't believe he could yell at me like that, he had no right too, but I didn't say that. I just turned around and start walking fast but carefully up the stairs.

"Eva" I ignored his voice and got up to my room, closing the door with a loud bang.