23 | What About Now

THE breaking of skin from both Kryptonian's was heard from a mile radius

Jessica's eyes snapped open at the feeling of something inside of her dying, being ripped away. Clark landed ten feet ahead of them on a large elevated slab of debris, the life drained from him.

Sheilah, who was the closest to him, pushed off a huge piece of debris off of her body just as Clark landed on the slab. "Clark!" She gasped, racing over to him.

She used her powers to get to the top. "Clark?" She asked, walking over to him cautiously. "Hey buddy, you did it." She said with a small smile. "You saved the world." When she turned him over by his arm, she saw the giant Kryptonite spear in his chest. She gasped, her hand flying to her mouth in shock.

When Clark flew to destroy Doomsday, he impaled himself with the spear that was still inside of the monster. Without the help of that spear, Clark wouldn't have been able to defeat Doomsday. Sheilah bent her head down to listen to his breathing. She knew he wasn't going to make it long. "Sh... Sheliah?" Clark mumbled.

"Yeah buddy? I'm here." She spoke, grabbing his hand, tears in her eyes.

"C... Can you... tell Jessica some-something? He whispered. Sheilah bent her ear down to listen to Clark's final request. When he finished, she shook her head, staring at him with teary eyes.

"I can do that." She smiled. "Now you... you rest."

"T-Thank... you, S-Sheilah." Clark whispered, still minding his manners even in his time of death.

When Sheilah heard Clark's shallow breath come to a stop, she squeezed her teary eyes closed. "No, thank you." She whispered, patting his cold hand. "Thank you, for being you, Clark."

Sheilah looked up to the cloud grey clouds with a deep sigh. She hoped that God took him to where he belonged, in heaven with his father. All she could do, for such a selfless person, was to pray, pray for his soul and hope he was at peace. "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven and on earth. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil..." She swept her hand over Clark's lifeless eyes, closing them for the final time. "Amen."

Sheilah laid Clark's hand down onto the pavement while wiping her eyes free from tears. "Phoenix?" Diana called, climbing up the elevated debris where she and Clark were. When her eyes landed on Clark's lifeless form, she felt her heart drop.

"He's gone." Sheilah croaked, looking at her deceased friend. "He's in a better place, I can feel it."

Diana walked over to the spear in Clark's chest and removed it, not wanting Jessica or Lois to see it. She tossed it far away, now a part of the garbage of the battle sight. "Help me get him down." Diana said, wrapping Clark in his cape.