Chapter 11: Her Saving Grace

HER SAVING GRACE

Mr. Michaels took her into a quiet office with only a desk, a couple of chairs, a grandfather clock, and some art on the walls. Mr. Michaels shut the door so softly, Alex wasn't sure if it had closed at all. He leaned against the door.

"This is it, kid. I got nothing." He brought a fist down on the door. His brow creased and he loosened his tie. "It's looking pretty bad out there, and if you don't say something right now..." His eyes fixed on her. "If you don't give me more concrete details than what I was told by North and the Showmans before the arraignment... I can't save you." 

Alex sank into one of the chairs. Mr. Michaels crossed to her, bracing himself on the arms, right in her face. 

"On pain of death, this is your moment. Spill."

Alex leaned back and folded her arms over her chest. "What do you want me to say? That I'm innocent?"

Mr. Michaels's face scrunched, teeth gritted, as though he wanted to curse very badly. He straightened and ran his hands through his hair, turning his back to her. He stood stock still for a moment, then burst suddenly, kicking the desk so hard that it scooted several inches across the floor. He rounded.

"Yes, dammit. I want you to say you're innocent." He took a deep breath, righting the desk. He cranked his chin to one side, and pulled at the collar of his dress shirt. "You've got to give me something to work with to pull this off. Anything."

Alex watched the pendulum on the clock in the corner swing.

Mr. Michaels sighed and collapsed into the chair across from her. He rested his right leg on his left knee and folded his hands in his lap. "We've got an hour."

Alex stared at the clock, in silence, for forty-five minutes. What was she supposed to say? Carrie already said that she'd never hurt Ashley, and that was true. She was innocent of that. But DeGelder... If she had known how that woman would treat the other foster kids, especially in Alex's absence, she would eagerly shoot her again, and sooner.

Mr. Michaels rocketed himself out of his chair and moved to the door, ready to leave, cursing under his breath.

"I loved her," Alex finally said. Mr. Michaels's hand paused just above the door handle. Each of Alex's words came slowly. "I loved her so much."

"You loved Ashley, didn't you?"

Alex nodded. "I would never, ever hurt her."

"Why is she dead?"

Alex licked her lips. "DeGelder." She shut her eyes, flinching at the memory of the woman in the hallway, ready to pull the trigger on both of the girls. "Something happened in her over the years. Something that makes a person go wrong. I don't know what. But I had to get back to that house every time I left it. Not just for Ashley, but for all of the girls." Alex opened her eyes, jaw set. "I needed to protect them. From her."

Mr. Michaels glanced at the clock and sat back down. Alex looked over her shoulder to see what time it was, but the attorney touched her arm and shook his head, speaking gently. "Just keep talking."

"There was a storm that night, just like Carrie said. Both Ash and I, we were on edge. She got up to go to the bathroom. I thought it was thunder I heard next, but it wasn't quite the same sound. So I got up. I told Carrie to watch the others."

"And you went upstairs."

Alex nodded.

"Keep going."

"And I found her, and she was bleeding." Alex winced. Her stomach pushed acid ick into her throat. "And she... she died in my arms."

He must have seen the pain on her face, because her squeezed her hand. "I know this is hard for you."