Chapter 12: North Oak

NORTH OAK

Alex squeezed her eyes shut tight, balling her hands into fists. Say it. Just say it. Say that I'm guilty.

The courtroom was silent, save for the ticking of the clock that boomed in her ears with each passing second. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Why aren't they saying anything?

She dared open her eyes to face the verdict head on. Her eyes fixed on the clock. She swallowed and held her breath.

"Not guilty."

Alex collapsed into her chair, falling forward on to her arms on the table.  Mr. North crowed and hollered.  Alex looked over her shoulder, drained, to see him dancing and beating the air as though he'd won the Breeders Cup Distaff all over again.

Mr. Michaels beat Alex on the back in congratulations. He braced his hand on her shoulder and leaned down to her. "Hear that, kid? You're goin' home."

Alex leaned forward on the table again, hiding her face in her folded arms.  Mr. Michaels patted her on the back and encouraged her to sit up when she was ready.

The jumble of emotions inside her were too busy wrestling with one another to allow relief. When she finally sat up, she met the eyes of Judge Parker who gave her a subtle nod and smile. "Not only innocent, but it seems we have a hero in our midst." He smacked his gavel. "Case dismissed."

Hillary sat across from North with Cade beside her. North slid a stack of papers across the table to her.

"What's this?" she asked.

North folded his hands and took a deep breath. "These papers are from the state and will allow us to become Alexandra's legal guardians. I've already signed, but I want you and Cade to sign also."

Hillary browsed the legal jargon on the page and shook her head. "I don't understand. Why us? You have more than enough room in your home. Why have her live with us and pay us to keep her? With you, she would have a life of privilege."

"Don't you think it's better if she grows up away from all of that?" asked North. "Better for her not to know who she really is."

Hillary stared at the pen laying near her hand. "You can't make me sign this."

"Alex isn't some cold-blooded killer, Hills. She's just a scared kid." Cade put an arm around her shoulders and leaned in close. His voice was gentle. "Come on. This is our chance to give Laura that sister she's always wanted."

Hillary's eyes darted to his, begging him not to remind her of the miscarriage they'd suffered. 

"We could still have one more, like we talked about... with Alex," Cade murmured.

North nodded. "You're not going to sign those papers because I'm your boss.  You're going to sign because North Oak is a family. You can't deny that. We've all been together long enough to know that this is what Angie would want.  You two were close once. Remember?"

Hillary frowned at him. "This is going to come back to haunt you. You know that, right?"

North bowed his head. "We all have our secrets."

Alex's eyes wandered along a string of sickening pink and magenta Valentine hearts pinned around the office of the Woodland Hills correctional facility. Are they supposed to make me feel better? Their attempt to be festive and liven up an otherwise dismal place was pathetic. They certainly didn't ease the bruise on her pride as she waited to be signed out.

I should be happy, she thought. They said I'm a hero.

Thunder clouds rolled heavily outside as she waited for someone to take her back to North Oak. They were supposed to be here an hour ago. So why don't I feel like one? 

She gritted her teeth as the thunder boomed. A flash of lightning split the sky. Why am I still sitting here? 

She wondered if it had all been a dream. What a way to spend Valentines Day. Forgotten. Unloved.

She hugged her knees to her chest on the small yellow chair where she sat. It's a stupid holiday anyway. Buncha schmucks.

The one day a year you were expected to prove your love, as if it didn't matter on all the others.  

Head lights bounced off the glass of the office where she sat, and she recognized Hillary's car rolling past and taking a parking spot in the lot. 

The woman entered the office and signed for Alex's discharge. Alex glared at her. "I see North sent his lackey again." They moved outside together, Alex's voice was dry. "What took you so long? And why should I go anywhere with you?"

Hillary stopped. She gripped her keys and stared vacantly at the ground. Her shoulders hunched.

Alex took two steps towards her, her voice growing harsh as the thunder. "You didn't even visit me. Not once. It's only a two-hour drive." She jabbed a stiff finger into Hillary's shoulder. "You know how I know? Cuz I stared at the clock on the radio the night they arrested me. Even Brooke and Laura emailed and visited. I guess you couldn't be bothered."

Hillary's voice was quiet beneath the fall of rain. "I can't tell you how many times I sat in my driveway wanting to, but I couldn't." She raised her eyes slowly to Alex's. "Because every time I got in the car, I thought about what it meant to bring you back to North Oak. There's more to it than you know, and I had some of my own demons to wrestle with." 

Hillary pointed to the parking lot with her keys. "Now you can get in the car with me and we can start a life together, or you can sit and wait here until the system throws you to another foster family who might not love your crazy punk ass as hard as I sure damn will."

Alex's eyes widened. She shivered beneath the icy rain. Holy Hell, she's got a mouth!

"But it has to be your choice. What do you say, Alex? Do you want to come home with me?"

Alex's hand shook as she reached for Hillary's and the keys. She paused as she touched the hard-working, weathered skin. Hillary's reciprocated touch was firm and gentle all at once. 

Alex looked at their fingers and swallowed, then ripped the keys from Hillary's hand and marched to the car. Halfway there, Alex walked backwards, her bangs stuck to her forehead under the downpour. "Don't think this means we'll start braiding eachother's hair and singing Kumbaya."

Hillary grinned, calling over the rain, "Shut up and get in the damn car." 

Alex was too nervous to talk much on the way back to North Oak. She even thought of the first time she had ridden in this car with Hillary, and it was eerily similar, like it had all come full circle. The dumb broad even tried singing to the radio again, but Alex shut it off. "Just... no."

Hillary chuckled, but obliged.

The car idled at the gates of North Oak as they opened slowly to them. Hillary looked at Alex. "You ready?"

Alex rubbed her palms on her knees and nodded.

The car pulled forward slowly, and as they came around the bend to the Showman's home, everyone was waiting outside.  Alex looked away, trying to hide tears that threatened to overflow when she saw Brooke, Laura, Cade, and the Norths holding up a large banner that said:

WELCOME HOME.