Chapter 7: Born to Run

BORN TO RUN

Trampled betting stubs littered the apron of Churchill Downs's clubhouse, the result of broken and greedy uncashed dreams after a long day of racing. Alex watched janitors sweep them up as she walked toward the backside track stables alone. It was quiet now, with the crowds and press long since gone. Alex kept playing the winner's circle scene in her head over and over. Her stomach knotted. 

I'm screwed.

She came to Venus Galaxies's stall and let herself in. Venus, who had been polishing off her dinner, craned her head around and whickered. Alex crossed over to her and leaned her head against the mare's soft, warm neck.

"I don't know what to do," she whispered. "If I stay, they'll find out, and I'll go to jail."

Tears welled up and she brushed them away. Venus seemed to sense the girl's pain and stopped chewing her dinner to rest her head against Alex's back. The mare whuffed softly.

"There has to be a way out of this." Alex sniffed. 

Venus Galaxies nickered. Alex leaned back, holding the bay's head. She stroked the faint star on the mare's face and gazed into her deep, soulful eyes. Something storm-like stirred in Alex. "What if we ran away together?" she whispered.

The mare tossed her head. Alex grasped it again. "No, I'm serious. It would be perfect. You could run forever, like you were born to. You and I, we could be free."

Venus Galaxies shook her head and pushed past Alex to the grain bucket. The mare swished her tail.

Alex pushed open the stall door and crossed back to the bay's side. She placed her hands on the mare's back, trying to figure out how to get up there. A thousand thoughts swam in her head. I know she means a lot to North Oak, but I need her more!

Just as she was about to try and pull herself up, Brooke's voice chimed in behind her. "Uh. What are you doing?"

Alex rounded. Venus Galaxies startled slightly, swinging her haunches right into Alex. Alex tripped forward and caught herself on the stall door. She looked up at Brooke guiltily.

"Don't tell me you were about to get on North Oak's most valuable horse."

Alex swallowed. "No, no. I was... uh." Going to solve my problems.

"She's worth at least the two million dollar purse she won today, Alex."

Alex straightened, but her shoulders slumped. "We were just having a talk." She couldn't bring herself to meet Brooke's eyes as she lied. "Honest."

Brooke folded her arms, turning her head to one side. "Are you sure everything's okay?"

Alex swallowed. "Yeah. Great."

"Well, I figured I'd find you here. Only place to find peace this weekend. Hey," Brooke said, trying to get Alex's attention. Alex finally looked her in the eye, but wanted to disappear. Brooke offered a smile. "This never happened, okay?"

Alex bit her lip and nodded.

"Well, c'mon, then." Brooke motioned for Alex to move out of the stall so she could close the door. "Mr. North is taking everyone to dinner to celebrate."

Great, Alex thought grimly, just great.

Wine and champagne corks popped, and glasses were filled with liquid cheer. Alex slouched in the booth beside Hillary and folded her arms. Mr. North stood and raised his glass.