Ch 1. A Night Worth Remembering

SCRIPT DRAGON

CHAPTER 1: A Night Worth Remembering

Clenched fists. Rigid shoulders. Swollen eyes. Rushed steps. This is stupid. Incredibly stupid.

Who else, besides her, in this whacked up Earthland storms out of a guild hall, bawling, just because of insecurity over chest size? It's embarrassing to admit but she can't think of anybody else. She's supposed to be that kind of girl who doesn't care much about curvatures, wasn't she? She's the book-smart, spell-wise, script mage Levy McGarden. She's the epitome of that perky intelligence. And for that matter, it's absolutely ridiculous of her to be crying over stuff as trivial as this.

But still, she does. The stinging sensation on her eyes is enough evidence. And it's not even Lucy's fault—definitely not. Her best friend knows nothing of her current predicament nor is she to blame for being endowed with right sized breasts. Likewise, it would be unfair to put the blame on that metal-studded jerk, though if Levy puts more thought on it, he's the main reason for her embarrassing stunt on stage.

A sudden chill runs through her spine at the thought of him. Gajeel Redfox. Back then, she'll know that chill as paralyzing fear. Right now, it's a different kind of paralysis. There's panic alright, but then, there's also warm excitement. And whether she admits it or not, it feels good.

Stupid.

Levy halts her steps and wipes her scrunched up face with her arms. Looking around, she wonders how long she had been fast-walking. She's standing directly under the large tree at the South Entrance of Magnolia Park. This park can't be reached with five-minute leisure stroll from the Fairy Tail guild hall. Realizing that, Levy suddenly feels tired and resolves on sitting under the tree. The ground's cold and her skimpy bunny outfit barely covers her but she's too upset to mind.

It's been a tiring night, physically and emotionally. Does Gajeel even know how crazy she's been going because of him? Maybe not. He might have changed from being that sadistic Black Steel from Phantom Lord to the much righteous and companionable Fairy Tail mage but that doesn't make him more sensitive to people's emotions, much less to hers.

She tries hard to hide it anyway. It's not that easy considering he's the same guy who beat her and her friends senseless and pinned them on this very tree after branding her torso with Phantom Lord's symbol.

Despicable acts of cruelty. And yet, here she is, slowly falling for the same man who hurt her. Yeah, she's freaking stupid.

But Gajeel's also the same guy who saved her from getting hit by Laxus' lightning bolts. And he did it twice. He's the same guy who readily volunteered to be her partner during the S-Class Mage exams, promising to make her big. He's the same guy who told her that it's hard finding someone as small as her so she should never leave his side when they were attacked by the Grimoire Heart. He's the same guy who held her hand before Tenrou Island was hit by Acnologia's roar. He's the same guy who awkwardly danced with her after their return to Magnolia.

Sure, Gajeel's mostly an inconsiderate ass, prone to annoyance especially everytime he bickers with fellow dragon-slayer Natsu over callow things. But despite of his rough edges, he won her attention. She learned to care for him. She learned to forgive him for his past wrongdoings against Fairy Tail.

Levy thinks he deserves it. Because underneath that cold bad guy-esque he shows, he's not all that terrible. There's a side of him that cares, that's capable of love and being loved.

A rustle behind the tree snaps Levy out of her thoughts and before she can stand up from the ground, a white coat drapes over her bare shoulders. A familiar scent of something metallic yet spicy invades her nose. She looks up and meets the unreadable stare of the iron-dragon slayer. Gajeel doesn't say anything though. After securing the coat on her, he stands up and starts walking away with his hands on his pockets.