Ch 2. Memory Lane

SCRIPT DRAGON

CHAPTER 2: Memory Lane

* * *

He doesn't even know what came to him. He just keeps on walking with his feet taking control of his whole system. Like it has a mind of its own. It's been a crazy night all right but as far as he could remember, he's not that absurd to take a walk on memory lane as if it's the most natural thing ever.

He should get his head checked. The events at the games must've injured his brain or something. How else could he explain why he's now on his way back to the park, kicking stones along the way and passing by the same streets they took just a while ago? Fucking lame.

But that's nothing compared to the unshakable urge to retrace where and when did he begin going crazy about the bookworm. Really out of his fucking character.

Nonetheless, Gajeel can't help but grin as flashes of memories about her flood his mind. Everything about her is vividly etched in his head. He clearly recalls of her soft hair brushing against his nose. And her scent. Most women he encountered smell like fruits or flowers—even that armored Titania reeks with strawberries—but Levy seems to opt for mild minty scent that melds with the traces of ink and dusty paper.

And her eyes. It's a set of hazel orbs. Full of innocence. Full of wonder. Full of life. He'll never forget how he once filled those eyes with dread.

Back to the day when Master Makarov introduced him as the newest member of Fairy Tail, he couldn't care less if Levy cowers at the sight of him. He's the Kurogane. He's used to being feared. And it would be hypocritical if he says he never enjoyed it. He only cares for the job, he told those annoying fairies. It's stupid but he felt he needed to at least protect his pride. He just couldn't admit that that cold stubborness was rooting with guilt all along.

The high and mighty Gajeel Redfox was riddled with guilt. Fucking understatement of the year. How couldn't he? That old geezer's trust burrowed in his iron hide. The begrudging acceptance of the whole guild daunted the hardness of his heart. For once, he found a place where he can fit in without flaunting the power he possesses. That is why he didn't fought back when Levy's fanboys tried to get back at him. The same reason why he took the lightning bolt that was meant to hit her. It was all for the need to repay his misdeeds on her and her friends. To be fully accepted by the family he once hurt, he had to pay the price.

And it was worth it.

What he didn't expect is that somewhere along the way, the little script mage will genuinely catch his attention. It made him panic, of course, knowing how stupid the mere idea of it was. Their history speaks in so much volume of how he doesn't deserve to even think about it. He wanted to stay away but he's somewhat drawn to her, as if she's made of magnet that's pulling his iron towards her.

When he stepped right up to be her partner during S-Class exams, he reasoned to himself that it's all about the frustration on not being chosen as a candidate. Like that even mattered because no matter where he look at, it is him who offered his help. It is him who wanted to be the one to protect her, to be the one to stay at her side, to be the one to see her move up to S-Class.

It's true that he constantly demeans her and calls her names but those are meant to challenge her. To strengthen her. He always believed she's capable of something great. He'll never target her team at the very beginning if he saw them as nothing but puny mages anyway. He's a dragon slayer after all. He won't waste time over weaklings. His purpose may have altered from malevolent to supportive but the way he saw her abilities never changed. She's strong. She's smart. She's pretty...amazing.

Shit. This just became hardcore lame.

Stuffing both of his hands in his pockets so he wouldn't smack his own face, Gajeel continues to walk towards the park. Right up ahead is the huge tree near the entrance. Reaching the looming shadow under the pale moonlight, he pauses and looks up right to the spot where he pinned her. He remembers that day like fleeting nightmarish images. She was unconscious. Bruised and bleeding. Torn and tattered. Her boys weren't looking any better.