Ch 3. Mission Hunt

SCRIPT DRAGON

CHAPTER 3: Mission Hunt

Levy's been standing in front of the request board for too long, she's gonna beat Nab's record soon. The guy's tough to beat though. Years of practice, she supposes.

"You okay, kid?" Nab asks her. Guess, he got weirded out, huh?

"Yeah. Just can't make up my mind," Levy replies with a timid smile.

She has to pick a job now. As in now. Right now. Why wouldn't these papers make any sense, anyway? Today, they're just a jumble of letters and numbers. For some reason, she can't stop feeling that something is amiss.

Since the guild's success at the games, they've been bombarded by requests which are kind of amazing, if not flattering. They need these jobs after all. Just two days ago, Natsu and Gray were requested for a mission by one of the Wizard Saints. It caused a ruckus since the two just had a three-day all-out brawl during their last job together. Nonetheless, they had no choice but to comply this time since the client specifically asked for them. They left by train yesterday morning accompanied by their usual team – Erza, Lucy, Wendy, Carla and Happy.

As a result, the air's been extra upbeat. Not wanting be outdone by Natsu's team, everybody else were running to and fro from the board, never leaving empty handed. Levy like to believe that her anxiety is just the air of excitement but somehow, she feels like there's more to it. For one thing, the Master's been awfully quiet, if not for the occasional fidgeting.

She's not that perceptive but she's far from blind either. It's been days since she first took notice of how the old man looked troubled. It was highly unusual for master Makarov to be that serious unless it means something is bothering him. But when Mira pointed it out, he just brushed away the questions, joking that old age might be catching up to him.

And then there's Gajeel. The dragon slayer's been grumpier than normal lately. Well, not that his temper is normal to say the least, but everyone can see how he's becoming a total meanie. Plus, he seems to be bent on avoiding her. His mindless razzing used to be a normal routine but there's no more of that these past days. He won't talk to her, even look at her. What's bothersome is he began acting like that right after the punishment night. Could it be her fault?

Levy shakes the idea away from her head. No, that's not possible. He's just being a jerk, that's all. She shouldn't be held accountable for his stupid mood swings.

"Levyyy!" a chorus of her name snaps her away from her thoughts. It came from the front door and she doesn't have to look back to see Jet and Droy running towards her. Composing herself, she faces her teammates.

"Hi, guys! You're late," she chimes in her usual cheery voice.

Droy's still panting when they reached her side so Jet fills up for him. "Sorry, Levy-chan. Droy had to grab breakfast. Again."

Levy giggles. "Breakfast? It's almost noon."

Droy groans a protest but changes his mind when he realizes where they are. He scans the papers in front of them. "Wow. That's a lot of requests. Have you picked one already, Levy-chan?"

She shakes her head. "Not yet. Wanna help me out?"

"Sure!" Jet says. "It's high time for Shadow Gear to kick butts again."

"Yeah. We haven't been in a mission together in a while." Droy agrees.

"Yeah, you basically left me behind the last time," Levy says a little indifferently. The two suddenly grow nervous at her remark, she can swear, she's able to see beads of sweat from their foreheads.