Chapter 43

Caitlyn's POV:

I'd missed the taste of his lips. Luke had gingerly pressed his lips to mine, cautious of my reaction. After trying to keep my guard up from him for so long now, his lips on mine made me realise that I can see past the things he's done. As soon as I registered the fact that his lips were on mine, I kissed him back, and I swear that he sighed slightly through the kiss.

He pulled back quite quickly, his eyes scanning my face, as if he were looking for my approval. Instead of kissing me again, he smiled, a big smile. He spoke, his voice quiet and husky. "I miss you so much Caitlyn."

Trailing my fingertips up and down his arm, I looked up into his bright blue eyes that were glued to mine. "I miss you too Luke."

"Does this mean that you forgive me now?" Luke asked, his eyes looking hopeful. I suddenly realised that we were still in the position we fell into, Luke still hovering over me while I lied on the floor. I gently put my hands onto Luke's chest, pushing slightly. He understood, getting off of me and sitting in front of me, crossing his legs.

"I- I think I do. It doesn't mean that I'm going to necessarily forget about the stuff you've done, but I'm fed up with ignoring you and feeling awkward around you. I just want you to tell me this stuff in future, not keep it all in and then lie to me when I confront you after finding out." I told him, telling him exactly how I felt.

"I promise you Caitlyn, I won't ever screw up like that again. I know I should tell you more, I hardly open up to anyone at all. If you want, I'll tell you everything, no lies this time." Luke told me.

It took me completely by surprise, Luke offering to open up to me. He hardly ever tells me anything, and now he's offering to tell me stuff, stuff that I don't even know he wants to tell me. Jumping at the offer, I nodded my head, wanting him to talk.

"Well I remember telling you about my parents splitting up, so you knew that anyway. But before all of that, you wouldn't really think it, but I was this nerd. I would get the top marks in all my classes, way higher than any of the other kids. I was only about 7 or 8, but still, compared to now I was like a genius." Luke told me, laughing a little bit. I smiled a small smile, already loving what he was telling me.

"It's probably why all the 'cool kids' started to bully me." Luke told me, using air quotations around the words 'cool kids'. I was a bit shocked that Luke used to get bullied, I had no idea.

"I never really understood why, and I still don't really know why for sure. One day they just randomly started bullying me. At first it was really minor, I could deal with it, but in the end they had me hating school, never wanting to get up and have to go. They took something that should have been a good and normal experience for any little kid to do, and they ruined my early school life for me." Luke told me, shrugging it off as if he didn't care.

"I told my parents, about them bullying me. I'd dealt with it for over a year, but I suddenly begged them to let me move school. After I begged and begged, they told me to tell the teachers or to stand up for myself. They said that they had their own problems to deal with, which they did but I was young and didn't really understand. So I would suck it up and deal with it, but I would never tell the teachers about it. I wasn't stupid; I knew exactly what happens when you tell teachers about stuff like that."

"My parents argued, a lot. I would hear them shouting at each other all the time, but I never really took any notice. As the days passed, they got louder, angrier, shouting more than I'd ever heard before. I was young, and already sad that they wouldn't let me move schools. I just remember sitting on my bed with my hands over my ears, trying to blur out all the awful screaming they did all the time. I just wanted everything to be normal, for my parents to be happy together, to enjoy school, but none of those things happened."