𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

My palms were burning fiercely, and I was ready to take on all of them. But before I could do anything, I felt a needle sinking into the top of my spine, near the base of my neck.

That's cheating. You didn't even give me a chance, you bastard.

Evan sent me a look that read something along the lines of: now, whoever said we play nice?

Fatigue washed over me, and my knees buckled, sending my body slumping to the ground. A hunter caught my head before I hit the floor — gotta keep me alive, right?

They carried me out of the room as I felt my consciousness slipping away from me once more. Somehow, I gained the strength to turn my head and glance at Theo one last time.

"Be brave." I saw him mouth, or maybe he shouted it; along with my eyes closing, my ears muffled out all sound.

A tear squeezed its way out of my right eye.

And, for the second time that day, I lost my grip on my consciousness, though thankfully this time it was a peaceful darkness — with no twisted hallucinations to haunt me.

The room I woke up in was completely different from the room that they had been holding me and Theo in; it was bright, white and clean — the complete opposite. So opposite, in fact, that for a millisecond I thought I'd gotten out and escaped.

"Welcome back, Ember." Evan appeared above me.

In attempting to get up, I thrashed around in the hospital-like bed and discovered I was tied down with tough-looking iron restraints.

Speaking through gritted teeth, I growled at Evan, "I won't let you have it."

"You don't have much of a choice about that," he told me, faking a smile. "We're going to get it whether you let us or not."

A tall woman dressed in a white lab coat walked into the room, looking like a doctor with a clipboard in hand.

She threw a look at Evan. "You realise how dangerous this is, right? Especially with her conscious." She surveyed me with a steely cold gaze, before muttering, "Hard to believe such a weak body can harness such a powerful being."

"Hey!" I frowned at her, but she ignored me.

"From what we know," Evan told her, standing behind my bed and placing his hands on my shoulders, "She can't harness it very well."

"I'm literally right here." I rolled my eyes, and if my hands were free, I would've thrown them up in the air incredulously.

"We should get to work straight away." The woman narrowed her eyes at me, pulling on a pair of fireproof gloves and surveying a metal tray — on which there were surgical instruments.

I'd never been any good at coping at the dentist's, so how I was going to fare here... Well, it probably wouldn't end very well.

"I'm going to give her a mild sedative to ensure she doesn't move around too much," the woman announced, picking up a needle and flicking the syringe, before squirting out a little and eyeing me. "It'll temporarily paralyse her."