𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

To avoid further complications that night, I slept in Abi's bed, next to Maia. There was no way that I was sleeping in Theo's room now that he knew something was going on between me and Ryder, and I didn't want to give Ryder too many ideas if I slept in his room — besides, I was pretty sure that Ryder was supposed to be watching Jade for the second half of the night.

Chris was still a little worry that I'd had at the back of my mind ever since I found out that he saved my life in Lake Oldoy... How he saved me, I hadn't yet got a chance to ask. I felt like, despite everything, Chris could become a friend of mine — much to Theo's disgust and jealousy.

I trusted Chris and it wasn't only because he saved my life, it was how he was willing to sacrifice everything he had to help me help Jade.

As soon as I'd found out that Chris was marked as absent the other day, I instantly began to worry about him, whether he was okay, and what his family would do to him if they found out that he'd given me that cure for Jade.

Theo, obviously, believed that the cure was a trap and that hunters couldn't be trusted one bit. But Jade was already dying. And as much as Jade didn't like me, and I didn't like her, I still didn't want her to die.

I just hoped that Jason made the right decision when it came down to it.

I had just woken up from a restless sleep when Maia also woke up, lying next to me

"Have I just died and gone to heaven?" Maia wondered aloud when her eyes fluttered open; Ryder stood over us.

"Not yet, sweetheart, not yet." Ryder chuckled at her, and his eyes did a quick scan of my body.

Pulling the covers further up my body, I felt slightly embarrassed that Ryder was here so early with me probably looking tired as hell. Regardless, Maia was more important right now.

"How are you feeling?" I questioned Maia, anxiety gnawing at me.

"Like I've just died and gone to heaven," Maia said dreamily, still staring at Ryder.

"Ryder," I told him bluntly, "Scram."

"See you later, sweetheart, hot stuff." He winked at both of us before leaving — player.

"What happened? How did I get here — where is here?" Maia looked around her, squinting at Abi's room.

"That's what I was about to ask you." I smiled sadly. "You're in Montana, in the US — this is Theo's... friends' ranch house." I was about to say Theo's pack, but I didn't want to go into that just yet.

"What..." She blinked. "What happened to my leg?"

"You were... bitten," I said hesitantly — this conversation was already veering way out of my comfort zone; I had no idea how to answer her questions without explaining the entire supernatural world to her, and we didn't even know if that was necessary just yet.