Chapter 12 - Firing the Outspoken

All morning, Sage thought about his Valet, and his words about Sage looking good in his waistcoat. The Prince was used to that sort of attention from females. Never in his wildest dreams had he thought a male would flirt so casually with him in the walls of their Palace, especially not his Valet.

Maybe a young one was a mistake. What if I forget myself?

"What's on your heavy mind?" his father asked.

Sage looked up, meeting his cold blue eyes that never meant to be so icy. "Can I abandon my duties today?" he asked. "I know I'm supposed to be around for family guests later, but I just don't have the energy."

"You do look tired," Haliver observed. "I can maybe tell them that you're still ill, but you already missed them at Radix Castle."

"Dad, I just-"

"Your Royal Highness," a voice said at the door. They both turned to see a guard bowing her head. "Lady Liniana is requesting a private audience with Prince Sage."

Sage only just managed to keep in a sigh.

"Bring her in-"

"No," Sage interrupted his father. "I was just telling you that I didn't want to socialise."

"Well then, you should make a special effort for a Lady who wants your attention." Haliver grinned and raised his brows up and down.

"No." Sage's bluntness was final. He stood with a frown; one he wore rather frequently in recent days.

"Why not?" Haliver followed him through the room. "Come on, she'll be all over you because you're grieving. She'll want to cheer you up, if you know what I mean."

Sage yanked his arm from his father's grip. "I don't want her to be all over me, I want to enjoy the rest of my day in peace. Tell her I'm already occupied."

"Sage, you realise that if I turn Lady Liniana away again, she might not come back for a third time."

"Good."

"I'm serious. She's a perfect match for you. There won't be many of those before you have to marry."

Sage pinched the bridge of his nose. "Trust me, she's not a perfect match."

"Does that mean someone else is?"

Sage slumped his shoulders. "Just leave it, I'm going back to bed." He stormed the halls quickly, leaving his father to call his name until he could no longer hear him. Sage shouldn't have been rude and turned Lady Liniana away, but he had no strengths to deflect her flirting and edge around the room every time she tried to get close to him.

I should have stayed in bed. Sage's thoughts grovelled his mind until he paused by a large window on his way between the first floor and the second floor. The window opened up a full view of the flower-filled courtyard and the neat fields beyond.

He peered down at Mrs Beecham's shed. Autumn leaves had started landing on its roof. Next to it stood his favourite gardener, covered in mud, carrying a hose, and trying to wipe red hair from her eyes.

She stood with a tall man, a blond man. Sage stood closer to the glass. Mrs Beecham stood with his Valet, Taro Vinea, and it looked like he was being told off.

Sage would have loved to know what Taro Vinea had done to annoy her. Maybe his bold tongue had gone too far, maybe he had stolen some roses, or maybe he was just being annoying.

The Prince turned back around and ventured outside instead. He edged behind a thick hedge until he was close enough to make out some of Mrs Beecham's muttering. The wind only allowed him to hear broken sentences.