Chapter 13 - Exposing Consultations

"I feel like I'm on the edge of being fired," Taro said, standing in Sage's bedroom, buttoning up his black shirt. Sage had barely spoken a word to him. He had barely looked up from the wooden floor. "Am I?"

"Not yet, but you're really not making an effort here."

"Sir, then, if it really pleases you."

"It does."

No more was said between them. Sage was moody, tired, and snapping at not just his Valet. He snapped at his brother when he snuck up on him in the corridor on the way to breakfast. "You know what, I can't do this today. I'm going back to bed. Don't bother me until tomorrow."

Oxley paused in front of him. "Has what happened at the funeral really gotten to you this much?"

Sage had almost forgotten about that. "I'm just not well, and the last thing I need to do is pretend that I'm fine."

"Should we call for a doctor?"

"No, I just need to rest."

Once in his bedroom, Sage only managed to shut his curtains, slip off his shoes, and unbutton his waistcoat before falling on his bed. He fell asleep quickly out of exhaustion, but woke just as abruptly when it sounded like something tumbled over.

Sage shot up, fearing the cleaner had entered to get the plant and saw him drooling on his pillow. Instead, he saw Taro sitting on his desk where he had left the plant, wearing his casual clothes and looking startled. "What?" Sage mumbled with eyes half open. "What are you doing?"

"Go back to sleep."

Sage was so sure that the veins around Taro's face were bright green, and that his eyes were glowing in the dim light of his bedroom. He convinced himself that it was a dream and flopped back down, mumbling about dressing appropriate.

He fell back to sleep, a very deep sleep, and woke when the sky was a deep red, and the sun was a burning orange ball at the edge of the world.

He rolled over to glimpse at the clock. Dinner would be ready in ten minutes. Sage ruffled his hair and sat up. He reached over to his three buzzers, one for his Valet, one for tea, and one for food. He rang the one for food. Osier would know he wanted dinner in his room.

Sage stood by his large window and watched the sky. The sunset was beautiful but wasted on his sad eyes. His gaze kept searching beyond the Palace grounds and to the city beyond. He judged Oxley for climbing the walls, but now Sage wished for a taste of that freedom.

In many ways, he was jealous of Oxley's view on the world. He could look positively at his future while all Sage saw was an approaching storm, a storm that could only promise devastation.

When his food arrived, Sage expected a servant, not his Valet. "Mister Vinea," Sage said to show his surprise. "Are they short of staff?"

"No, I offered to bring this up." Taro put the silver tray on Sage's desk. "You have uh..." Taro peeked under the silver lid. "I don't know, sloppy stuff and a cup of tea. Enjoy, Sir." He turned on his heels, and Sage's heart leapt out of him when he asked Taro to wait.

The Valet froze, and Sage fidgeted. "If I'm to keep you on as my Valet, this awkward tension needs to go."

Taro turned, clearly expecting him to say something else. "I agree. Its been hard to focus today. I thought Osier was going to kick me out at any moment."

"I apologise for earlier. I've concluded that it sounded as though I was only concerned about myself." Sage was very aware that he was making the awkwardness even more intense. "Please, sit down." he sat on the end of the bed, and motioned for Taro to sit on his desk chair.