Chapter 19 - Embracing Change

"She's crazy," Taro declared, folding Sage's jumper and putting it in the cupboard.

"She's just old."

"And crazy."

Sage disappeared into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Taro was still in his bedroom when he was done getting ready for bed. "Do you need something?" he asked, folding the duvet over and sitting with his back against the cushions.

The fire was still lit. Taro's eyes looked rather mischievous with dancing flames in them. "I need you to tell me your boundaries, or I'll keep overstepping them until I'm fired."

Sage linked his fingers. You should be fired already. "Just go to bed."

Taro tilted his head. "So, no boundaries?"

Sage should have told him that even asking such a question was highly inappropriate. Deep down in his repressed heart, he admitted that Taro was right, he did enjoy being dressed by him because he was young and attractive, and also gay. "Wake me at eight. Don't be late again." Or you'll end up being fired for your lack of punctuality, not your wandering hands.

Taro bowed his head. "Night then, Sagerian."

Sage could practically see Taro's smirk as his footsteps faded down the corridor. He's too cheeky for his own good.

That night, Sage fell asleep with a small smile and had good dreams about meeting people that made him happy. In his dreams, they were always men, and in his dreams, he was free to flirt in front of others, and in his dreams, he didn't care that the man he flirted with was his Valet, Taro Vinea, the man with piercing green eyes, the posture that ballet dancers were jealous of, a face that would make everyone turn their heads and stare in awe-

"Prince, hello?"

Sage woke suddenly when someone shook him. Taro Vinea leaned over him. His eyes were just as bright in real life, and just as pretty. Sage squirmed away from his hand and turned around, curling up in his duvet, so he could blush in peace.

"You told me to wake you at eight," Taro said when Sage didn't get up.

"Not so roughly."

"I do try and shout you, but you just don't wake up." Taro opened the curtains to Sage's south facing bedroom. The morning sun peeked in and Sage scrunched his eyes shut.

"I would like some tea, please."

Taro pulled the cord twice.

"And a bath."

While Taro disappeared inside the bathroom, Sage sat up and rubbed the embarrassment from his face. He had dreamt of his Valet in a way that made him giddy and light. Sage was disappointed that he had been woken, and that he couldn't make the dream his reality. Stop Sage. He's your Valet.

Sage couldn't stop. Even when he was in the garden with a book, or helping the castle's gardener with potting the plants, or keeping a very stern frown when Taro dressed him for dinner. He couldn't stop thinking about what if.

What if I hadn't stopped him when his hand slipped inside my shirt? What if I flirted back? What if someone caught us? What if I didn't care about the consequences? What if I wanted him? What if I was allowed to want him?

Sage stared hard at Taro's back while he rummaged around for a tie. He forgot to stop when Taro faced him, and the Valet tilted his head. "What have I done now?"

"Sorry?"

"You're looking at me like I've tread mud in here or something." Taro raised a brow. "You're going to fire me, aren't you?"