epilogue

Soleil rolled over in bed, squeezing her eyes shut tight. She was completely and utterly exhausted. The blankets and pillows were her best comfort, a haven from the world of discomfort.

     Then there was the nausea, it would come and go, making her vomit her guts out every morning like clock work.

     She tried to convince herself it was worth it. Before she knew it, she would have a baby to cuddle. Or a kit, as Fray called it.

     It would be the third Human Rytarian hybrid to be born. Two couples had already brought life into the world, and everything went smoothly. So the initial panic of finding out about the pregnancy had quickly faded, replaced by excitement and a bit dread.

     Soleil didn't know if she was ready to be a mother, but she knew everything would be okay. As long as Fray was by her side, she could do anything.

     Her Mother comforted her, as did her best friend, Elodie. The more positive reinforcement, the more Soleil's nerves dwindled.

      She rolled over again, trying to get comfortable in the dark room. They were currently living in the palace, but since they were expecting a baby, they needed more space.

      They would be moving soon, but would stay in the city. Fray's job was here, but Soleil would miss the freedom of nature.

      But the Rytarian General was determined to keep his mate happy. He promised her that he would bring her to the most beautiful places Rytaria had to offer. Waterfalls and cliffs and caves. They would discover it all together.

      Soleil smiled just thinking about his promise. He was the perfect man. She loved him so much that her heart constricted.

      Especially now that she was pumped full of crazy pregnancy hormones that made her cry at the drop of a hat. He was always so understanding and patient with her. She couldn't ask for more.

      Cupping her belly, she dreamed of holding her baby. It was a picture she couldn't wait to come true.

      Suddenly, the door clicked, and she knew that her mate was home. Wiggling around in bed, she sat up to see Fray standing across the room. He was stiff as a board, his usual smile was gone, replaced with thinned lips and a pale complexion.

      Soleil's lungs froze. She knew in that instant that something was wrong. The urge to throw up rose, but it had nothing to do with the kit inside her.

     "What's wrong? What happened?" She demanded, tears already springing to her eyes.

     Fray immediately went to her, scared to tell her the awful news in fear of her reaction. She was carrying precious cargo, and he had to be extremely gentle with her. But this, this was something she had to know about.

     Whether it was from him or someone else, she would find out.

     "It's Elodie." He murmured, tucking her hair behind her ear, his voice even. "She's gone. She's missing. We don't know where she went. The palace is under a massive search, but there's no sign of her anywhere."

      A sob tore from Soleil's mouth. She immediately threw herself into Fray's arms. She couldn't think straight, couldn't even speak, she was drowning in sorrow.

     "We'll find her, I promise. Everything will be okay."

      Little did they know that Elodie was running to her destiny, and that the male that would save her was just what she was looking for.

Scroll for book 4 announcement!