|12|

Soleil

I miss Fray, and I'm determined to rectify that loneliness. The sun is setting outside, and I can't find it in me to wait until midnight to see Fray. I'm looking beyond midnight, I want so much more than those stolen moments in the dark.

What I don't account for is the fact that I'm not invisible while I storm down the hallway. Elodie spots me in a moment, and she knows something is up. She smells trouble. She knows me too well.

"What are you doing, Soleil?" She presses, falling into line next to me and dodging all the people we pass as she keeps pace with my quickness. I cringe, wishing I would have approached this in a better way. I should have been more conspicuous.

I grab her hand, pulling her along with me. I drag her behind me, needing to have this conversation away from prying eyes and gossiping sister wives.

Elodie doesn't complain, she simply goes along with it. I knew I would have to have to tell her eventually. I'm actually kind of surprised I lasted this long without spilling my guts. We spend so much time together, and there's hardly anything else to talk about.

"You've been avoiding me." She accuses me as soon as we're alone in my secret alcove, and I don't disagree with her. I nod, pursing my lips. Elodie frowns when I confirm her suspicions. "Why?" She breathes.

I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck.

"I'm going to sound crazy, but I'm not, okay?"

Elodie laughs at that.

"You are crazy, but I believe every word out of your mouth. We're best friends, remember?" She reminds me, and I sigh, relenting.

I guess its time to tell my story.

"Those dudes out there? They're aliens. I met one of them through the window." I gesture to the wall of glass beside us that displays the pinks and oranges of the dawning sunset that lights the sky. "And, I don't know, El, we had a connection. Even if I can't understand a word he says, even if I don't know why he's here, I feel something for Fray. I don't know what it is, but I'm determined to find out."

I take a deep breath in after my long speech, and Elodie has gone completely pale by the end of it. She stares at me for a few long, painful seconds of complete silence. Then, she bursts out with questions.

"Aliens? Are you sure? How do you know they're aliens? What are they like?" I'm bombarded by her words and I throw my hands up as if to stop the syllables and they're attack on me. I don't know what I was expecting from her, but it certainly wasn't that. This girl is insane. That's exactly why I love her so much.

"What, so you actually believe me?" I ask, completely dumbfounded. She nods vigorously, her eyes flashing to my precious window wall with anxiousness clouding her features.

"Yeah. I knew there was something odd going on. I felt it. It actually kind of makes sense." My best friend admits awkwardly, tracing the back of her hand with her fingertips. "Where are you going now? Are you going to meet him? Can I come with you?"

I blank, and a protective urge to hide Fray from her bubbles up inside of me. A little jealously makes itself known, and I don't know where it comes from. This is Elodie. She doesn't mean any harm. She's sweet, and loves me like I love her, she would never do anything to hurt me. I just know it. So why do I have the urge to keep her away from him like she'll steal him away?

What's wrong with me?

"I am, but you can't come." I manage, and my wish for her to not join me isn't because of my foolishly possessive nature, but because I know it's not safe to be sneaking out like I've been doing.