Chapter 8

I lock the door behind me and fix myself up. I re-button my shirt that had been undone last night, I wash my face with cold water, and I re-do my messy braid. I sit on the edge of the bathtub and check the time. Nine o’clock. I remember hearing that breakfast starts at ten, so I have some time before then. I run a warm bath and get in. I stay there staring out the window for about twenty minutes before getting out. I look for a towel, but find a robe instead. I put my underwear and bra on and the robe on top. I unlock the door, and step out. I look around to see if Sam is still there, but he isn’t. The bed is made and there are clothes folded on the bedside table. I walk over to the clothes and look at them. Since they are all I have other than my dress, I they’ll have to do. A tight white t-shirt, a dark green men’s sweater, black leggings, white socks, and black running shoes. I can’t wear a tight shirt! At least I have a big sweater. But there’s nothing to cover my legs because the leggings are way too tight for my taste. Oh well, better than wearing a dress. Since there is thirty-five minutes left until breakfast, I think I’ll explore a bit. The hallway is dark, and the doors are all closed except one. I stick my head inside. Empty. What am I expecting there to be? I walk further down the hallway away from the stairs. A door is slightly ajar so I peek in. I see my sister’s long, curly brown hair so I open the door to wake her up. “Oh gosh,” I say quietly to myself. I was not expecting what I see now. I tiptoe to Sasha’s side of the bed and tap her on the shoulder. “How was your sleep?” I ask with a bit of a giggle when she wakes up.

“I should be asking you the same thing,” she smiles. She turns over in her bed and taps Nathan on the shoulder.

“Don’t wake him up!” He jumps in the bed when he sees me covering up his body with the blankets. He pulls them off my sister, revealing her naked body.

“Nathan!” She yells as she gets back under the covers.

“I’m guessing you guys had fun last night.” I laugh.

“Yeah,” Nathan says with a nervous laugh. I start thinking. “Why does she have that look on her face?” He asks Sasha.

“That’s her thinking face,” she tells him.

“Penny for your thoughts,” he says to me. I laugh because Sam said the same thing to me last night.

“I was just thinking how much you and Sam are alike when you’re embarrassed.”

“We are brothers after all.”

“So why did you wake me up?” My sister asks me.

“I wanted you to get ready for breakfast,” I lie. I actually want to tell her what happened.

“Okay, thanks butch.”

“Why do you call her ‘butch’?” Nathan asks my sister.

“It suits her since she’s a tomboy.”

“I would’ve nicknamed her beauty,” he says as he winks at me. I blush a bit.

“Nathan! Are you hitting on my sister?”

“That makes total sense ‘cause he’s four years older than me,” I answer sarcastically.

“Well he’s four years younger than me, butch. So he could actually choose either of us,” she says. I just laugh.

“I’d rather have someone my age and someone not so bold, so…” Nathan looks a bit hurt. “I’m sorry, Nathan, but would you rather date someone older than you, or younger than you?”

“Older but-.”

“I figured as much. So, I’m just going to leave and let you two get ready.”