44| Sinking

Chapter 44: Sinking (Archer's POV)

I resisted a groan and eye roll while he looked between us in confusion. 

"Are you okay? I was waiting for you," he mumbled, asking Evelyn. 

"What?" she frowned in confusion. 

"In the backyard," he replied. 

"Oh." She sighed in exhaustion, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Sorry, I'm so sorry. I just-" 

"It's okay. Are you... Can I get you anything?" 

Can he not see me standing right here? 

I have to keep my mouth shut. She seems to have patched things up with him and I don't want her getting even more upset with me by doing something stupid. 

"I'm fine, thank you." 

He nodded before hesitantly leaving. She sniffled, running the back of her hand under her nose. 

"You..." I trailed off, grabbing a tissue and handing it to her. 

She wiped her cheeks dry first and then her nose, then tossed it in the trash and turned to me. "Why do you want to marry me, Archer?" she asked once she had collected herself. 

"Because I love you." 

Her shoulders slumped. 

"I'm sorry. I know you wanted me to say something that you could counter. But you can't counter that. I love you," I shrugged. 

"This would have been so much easier if I didn't love you back and did what I planned to when I came to the palace in the first place," she mumbled. 

"Which was what?" I questioned. 

"Annoy you till you kick me out," she laughed dryly.

"Maybe you shouldn't have been so beautiful, charming, funny, and kind. Then it may have had a chance," I said sarcastically.

"I'm being serious," she deadpanned. 

"No, you're not." I rolled my eyes, taking her hands. "I can't be at that party knowing that you are here miserable because of me," I began. "Let me take care of you." 

"Archer-" 

"Evelyn, please. For once, just let me take care of you. You do it for me all the time. Come on." 

"Please don't, I-" 

I stopped listening and grabbed the back of her knees, pulling her hips to the edge of the counter, making her let out a small gasp. "I'm taking care of you tonight, whether you're mad at me or not, whether you like it or not." I put my arms around her waist and picked her up. 

She instinctively put her arms around my neck and wrapped her legs around my torso. "Please, put me down. I can walk on my own." 

"No." 

"Archer." 

"No." 

She sighed, watching me while I walked her over to the bed. I set her down and kneeled in front of her. "Archer?" I flicked the bedside lamp off before standing up. She remained still while I went and sat on the other side. She turned to face me but I made her look back the other way. "What are you doing?" she sighed. 

I looked at her hair, starting to pull the hair tie out gently. It slipped off the ends of her hair while her hands went up, itching to massage her own scalp. I swatted her hand away. She sighed in defeat, just sitting there while I ran my fingers through her hair and massaged her scalp slowly. "Do you want me to braid it?"