1.03

APOLLO - THE BROTHER KILLER

-

ARTEMIS ASSURED THEM that dawn was coming, but Katniss couldn't tell.

It was colder and darker and snowier than ever. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless. Katniss had gone up there and used the mist to wipe everyone's mind of her, Cass, the Di Angelo's, and Thorn. Of course, it was a thin layer, using the mist like that took a lot of concentration and energy. She hadn't had to do something that big since Yancy.

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up. Artemis stared into the easy, waiting for Apollo. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. Katniss could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt.

Thalia, Cassiopeia and Grover came up and huddled around Percy and Katniss, anxious to hear what had happened in their audience with the goddess.

When they told them, Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

"Artemis," Katniss answered. "She can use her magic to appear anywhere in the wilderness."

Percy shrugged. "I guess that makes sense."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoë's fault. That stuck-up, no good..." she trailed off seeing Katniss's look.

She wasn't glaring. She wasn't crossing her arms. Katniss usually had a steely type of anger, the one where she raised a calm eyebrow and her eyes seemed darker than usual. It clearly told someone to shut the fuck up before she made them without specifically saying it. She could hold that face as long as possible, she hadn't broken yet.

"Who can blame her?" Grover said. "Eternity with Artemis?" He heaved a big sigh.

Cassiopeia scoffed. "You satyrs. You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?"

"But she's so...into nature," Grover swooned.

"You're nuts," said Thalia.

"Nuts and berries," Grover said dreamily. "Yeah."

Finally the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes."