3.03

-

-

AFTER BECKENDORF'S FUNERAL, Percy walked to the sword arena.

Almost immediately Mrs. O'Leary started barking so he opened the gates, and she bounded straight toward the woods.

Percy jogged after her, not too concerned that she was getting ahead. Nothing in the woods could threaten Mrs. O'Leary. Even the dragons and giant scorpions ran away when she came close.

When Percy finally tracked her down, she wasn't using the facilities. She was in a familiar clearing where the Council of Cloven Elders had once put Grover on trial.

The place didn't look so good. The grass had turned yellow. The three topiary thrones had lost all their leaves. But that's not what surprised me. In the middle of the glade stood the weirdest group he'd ever seen.

Juniper the tree nymph and Nico di Angelo were ones he recognized immediately. The other two took him a moment.

The girl had long, wavy black hair that tumbled down her back. She looked vaguely South Korean. Her green eyes were narrowed like anything could be a threat and she was gripping her golden spear tightly.

Percy felt his jaw drop slightly in shock. He hadn't seen or heard from Aurelia Caesar in months, since December, and suddenly she was here.

She and Nice were the only ones who didn't seem freaked out by Mrs. O'Leary's appearance. Nico looked pretty much like Percy had seen him in his dream—an aviator's jacket, black jeans, and a T-shirt with dancing skeletons on it, like one of those Day of the Dead pictures. His Stygian iron sword hung at his side. He was only twelve, but he looked much older and sadder.

He nodded when he saw Percy, then went back to scratching Mrs. O'Leary's ears. She sniffed his legs like he was the most interesting thing since rib-eye steaks. Being the son of Hades, he'd probably been traveling in all sorts of hellhound-friendly places.

The old satyr didn't look nearly so happy. "Will someone—what is this underworld creature doing in my forest!" He waved his arms and trotted on his hooves as if the grass were hot. "You there, Percy Jackson! Is this your beast?"

"Sorry, Leneus," Percy said. "That's your name, right?"

The satyr rolled his eyes. His fur was dust-bunny gray, and a spiderweb grew between his horns. His belly would've made him an invincible bumper car. "Well, of course I'm Leneus. Don't tell me you've forgotten a member of the Council so quickly. Now, call off your beast!"

"WOOF!" Mrs. O'Leary said happily.

The old satyr gulped. "Make it go away! Juniper, I will not help you under these circumstances!"

Juniper turned toward Percy. She was pretty in a dryad-y way, with her purple gossamer dress and her elfish face, but her eyes were green-tinted with chlorophyll from crying.