Chapter 15

“I’m sorry I dragged you into this,” Shah’s soft voice was morose. Cecilia gazed up and found him reclining against the cage bars with his face heavenwards. His dark eyes were unseeing and devoid of emotion. The gentle undulation of his firm chest were the only indication he was alive.

The pair sat in their respective positions in silence. The chains around Shah’s wrists rattled as the cart crossed an uneven patch of road. The whip of the horseman could be heard at regular intervals. After many miles on uneven terrain the road began to improve.

Cecilia’s mind grappled to find a way to get out. She could neither discern where they were going nor could she pick her locks as she had seen done in adventure novels. Beyond a sharp tongue she possessed no skills which could get them out of their prison.

“We’ll find a way. Contrary to what everyone believes I’m not stupid. I think we can succeed if we put our heads together,” Cecilia’s parched throat croaked as she tried to assuage her friend’s dwindling spirits.

“As long as you don’t have head lice we can indeed,” The man replied gruffly making Cecilia gasp at his daring insult. She shook with indignation despite knowing it was only an attempt at levity.

“That was a horrible joke. Just horrible,” The redhead declared. Her curly mane shook with faux horror.

“At least you think I have a semblance of some sense of humour. I remember very clearly being told I did not have one,” Shah said with a thoughtful tilt. He bit his lips as tried to remember the moment clearly. Cecilia watched his handsome face in hopes he would reveal something useful.

“What a rude thing to say. Do you remember who said it because I’d like a firm word with them,” The young girl pondered over this riddle. Her protective instincts were roused by the man’s comments.

“You don’t have to defend me all the time. You’ve managed to put yourself in danger just because of the determination to keep me alive,” Shah gave his companion a wry smile,  “And the answer to your question is no, I do not.”

“You remember the words. There must be some other identifiers you could recall...”

“I can hear the words as clear as if they had been said in my ear right this minute,” The tall man murmured as he tried to dive back into his past.

“There has to be more. What is the person’s tone? Are they jesting or are they being cruel? Is it a man or a woman?” Cecilia threw swift questions at her companion.

“The speaker is female and her tone is light as if teasing me. I can just see a hint of her long red dress before it’s gone like fleeting mist. And her breath smells of fresh mint drink. Along with her rose scented perfume that’s all I can smell as I inhale,” Shah’s words felt like he was truly living the moment and his face lost all expression.

Cecilia realised she was holding her breath and exhaled noisily. She stared at her companion’s serene countenance and felt a stab of irritation in her heart. Who was this strange woman who dared to cross the man’s iron clad personal boundaries.