Chapter 7

Cecilia watched the inn's stablemen unload her precious belongings with beady eyes. She trusted no one when it came to her belongings and was supervising the entire operation. Even though her trunk was locked solid there was no telling what a grabby inn hand could whittle out of it
.

While Simon remained by her side, Beth and the gentleman had been led to their rooms already. They had moved him so fast she was certain very few people had seen him. The fewer the better.  She had also kept their carriage windows closed and curtains drawn though she was not certain it had done the trick. Who knew if they were being spied or not. 

Cecilia hummed in satisfaction as the shed was locked shut and she walked back into the inn with Simon trailing behind her. Her skirts were getting filthy in the muck. The main entrance was low and dingy but the inn lady's smile was welcoming. 

"Everything is to my satisfaction," The redhead took off her hood as she spoke, "I appreciate your services."

"I- I am honoured, My- My Lady," The inn lady was suitably in awe of the beautiful red head who carried herself with immense confidence and grace, "Is-Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Please, do not announce our presence for one thing. We wish to be left alone and are in no mood to socialise. We are so tired from our journey. Secondly, I would appreciate if you could send up our meals upstairs when we order it. We are famished."

"There is one thing I need to tell you, m-m Lady," The inn lady blurted as she remembered something, "Due to recent events the town has been put under curfew. We are not allowed out after sundown. I - I hope this restriction will not prevent you from enjoying our little town."

"Curfew? Whatever for?" Cecilia asked curiously.

"I-In general it was laid out for our protection. The capital is busy with the plague and because of the lack of attention here our town has been getting an odd number of visitors. It's trouble I tell you, my Lady, trouble. We don't want that kind of fellows in our quiet little town," The inn lady announced.

"Thank you for the information," Cecilia muttered, "I would appreciate it if you could send us your best bottle of port with my man."

Simon was led off to the kitchens by the cheerful inn lady who had gained back her spirits after ominous announcement while Cecilia led herself up the dingy stairs thinking about what the inn keeper had said. Their room was the third on the left and she walked in without ceremony.

The room was quite large. There was ample space for many people to take up floor space but fortunately her handful of gold coins meant they were sharing the room only amongst themselves. She had considered giving everyone their own private space but what was the use of that. Besides Cecilia was paranoid. There was a thought stuck in her head that she hadn't seen the last of the mysterious men who were determined to slay the man under her protection. 

Speaking of the large man, he was currently sprawled all over one of the two rickety beds available, on his stomach. Poor Simon it seems was doomed to lay on the floor in his bedroll since the injured man was large enough to take over the entire bed. There was simply no space for the guard. She was more than happy to share her bed with Beth.

"You could knock," The man murmured without opening his eyes.

"I could," Cecilia agreed without promise.

She walked in to her own bed where Beth was busy changing the sheets. The red head tucked the sheet along with her to hasten the pace. 

"All done!" Beth clapped her hands with glee.