Chapter 13

"This is unfortunate," Sir Russell exhaled which soon turned into a wheezing cough. In the dim light the whites of his beard looked more pronounced, aging him significantly.

"Very much so," Shah agreed.

"Going into their cave shall not be an easy task. It is fraught with danger. Will we even survive this?" Lord Fanning's strong jaw was tense as he eyed his companions, nervously.

"We would not be in this mess if you would have kept to the boundaries," Clyde Chester pointed at Cecilia with his long soot covered fingers.

"You would have a good man die?" The redhead tried to keep anger from bubbling to the surface but did a poor job.

"I would have," The man's thin lips disappeared with the grim expression on his face. The hatred in his narrow eyes shone vividly to the group of people.

"Cease this bickering! We need to find a way to get our flower back," Sir Russell sat on tree stump with an audible thud.

"Either we attack them in their cave or we lure them out," Cecilia paced on the dew covered ground, wetting the ends of her velvet gown.

"We must do both," Lord Fanning announced.

"Is it wise to split up?" Sir Russell asked with a resigned look.

"What choice to we have?"

"Two of our able bodied men are bound together. They will not be useful unless we separate their feet," Cecilia gestured towards the iron banding.

"You shall sit this through," Shah suddenly proclaimed. From the look on everyone's faces it seemed no one trusted the girl not to jump into the mess.

"Why do you think I would insert myself into men's work?" Cecilia blinked sweetly. Her saccharine smile fooled no one. With a huff the girl crossed her arms.

"Mind her. I can already see she will be a nuisance," Clyde stood abruptly leaving Lord Fanning flailing.

"You cannot be in two places at once. It's unfortunate but Mr. Shah is the only one with the necessary skills to complete this mission. Are you up to the task? Will you help us?" Sir Russell asked the taller man with a hint of desperation lacing his dark eyes.

"Of course. I cannot forget I am alive because of the efforts of this group," Shah answered formally. He gave a little bow at the end of his speech.

"Who will go up to the cave?" Lord Fanning asked, "And who will call the attackers upon us."

"I am a researcher, not a fighter," Clyde hissed into his fingers but did not verbalise his complaints any further. He pressed his hands to his eyes as if fighting off sleep.

"I will stay here with Mr. Shah. We will fight off the attackers," Lord Fanning nodded as if it was decided. He stood and started packing the meagre belongings around them.

"I shall take to the cave," Sir Russell stood firm as if he wasn't about to face death. He took a bite from the sandwiche Beth had conjured from her basket. Cecilia wouldn't be surprised if her maid had stuffed the kitchen sink in her ugly basket.

"What about me?" Clyde Chester complained.

"You shall take care of the women?" Sir Russell gave him a confused look, "Simon will be accompanying me."

"That's nice..." The highborn Lady muttered into her velvet sleeve.

"I should lead you to the cave," The pointy nosed man uttered grudgingly, "Besides Fanning, only I know the way to the cave."